Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after installing a B&M shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after installing a B&M shift kit

Hey guys, I just installed a B&M Shift Improver Kit in my V6 Camaro yesterday and I set it up for Stage 2: Street/Strip. I also changed the filter and refilled the tranny with B&M Trick Shift ATF. Once I was finished and took it out for a test drive and I noticed that if I'm easy on the throttle it shifts fine but when I get on it and it shifts from gear to gear, it squeaks. Also, took it on the highway last night and it doesn't want to shift from 3rd to 4th. Any thoughts or suggestions?

One more thing while I'm thinking about it, installing this kit wouldn't mess up my speedometer would it? Because I'm actually going 7 mph faster than what it's reading.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well lol. Sounds like you have issues, On the squeak did you unhook anything? torque bar or anything, Speedo I dont see anyway the shift kit could affect that, No fourth sounds like a kit installation error , I have always used the transgo kit but if you can scan and send me the instruction for the B&M kit I will try and help you figure out what when wrong send to performabuilt@yahoo.com our regular email wont receive attachments so you must use that one.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-29-2007, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

better yet ya might just wanna go ahead and buy a tranny from the above sponsor now because from what I have read many many times on numerous forums is that those B+M kits will eat your 4L60E up very quickly.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

I followed the instructions exactly as they said and I've done quite a bit of work on cars I just had never taken apart a transmission. I didn't unhook anything that wasn't supposed to be unhooked and what I took apart went right back together. My speedo was correct before this though and I know that for a fact. First I'm going to plug in my Hypertech programmer and check the programming though. But, I may just take the kit back out and get a new separator plate and put it back to stock. I only did this to firm up the shifts since it's starting to slip a little. But I'm hoping by the end of the summer to do a engine and tranny swap to a low mileage LS1/4L60E anyways. I will see if I can get those instructions scanned though and if I can, I'll send them over.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

With a B&M kit it really doesn't matter if you follow the instructions exactly.
Although I never put one in a 4L60E I did look at one for a 700R4 a long time ago. For $50-$60 it has some springs, drill bits, and spacers.
The spacers stopped the movement of the accumulators-not good but it does impress kids with the resulting 10 mph chirps into second no matter what.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Well, I got out the Hypertech programmer and flashed the PCM back to stock and then flashed it again with my settings and the speedo is now correct so I'm not sure what happened there but I'm going to just remove the B&M kit in a few days when I get the time and put it back to stock. I'm going to call tomorrow to order a new separator plate and instead of the B&M Trick Shift ATF, I'm going to re-fill it with Valvoline Dexron III for higher mileage transmissions.

Then hopefully in a couple of months I can get my LS1 and drop it in and not have to mess with this engine and tranny anymore. Also, if anyone who reads this has a low mileage LS1/4L60E with all accesssories, wiring, and PCM for sale, feel free to post up and let me know or PM me because I might be interested.

Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Problems after installing a B&M shift kit