Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transbrake Reverse question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transbrake Reverse question

I have a th400 with a BTE transbrake reverse valve body.My trans guy told me to not put the car in reverse to use reverse but to have it in neutral and use the transbrake button for reverse.Why is this or can I just put it in reverse to back up???
Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I am sure there are several different versions if trans brake but I have never heard of that, But since hes your builder I would just do what he says

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would putting the car in neutral and holding the trans brake make you go backwards??

Does that mean that when you're staged and you activate the trans brake....you're going to go backwards??? lol

I'm not saying your trans guy is wrong...I'm fairly new to the auto world myself. This will be new info for me too.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 AM
9 Second Club

My TCI th400 transbrake is the same way, shifter in nuetral and push the T/B button to back up. If your on the starting line you dont have the car in nuetral to launch it, its in 1st gear the you apply the t/b and it locks the car in reverse and 1st gear which is what a transbrake does. The TCI th400 brakes are like that, and the hipster th350 brakes are also.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found on the dyno with some break set ups that the trans will back up in reverse or in neutral with the brake applied. Some versions, "I will not mention any names", If you back up in reverse when neutral is supposed to be used, you loose all cooler flow/cooler pressure. Make sure when you get a trans break you follow the directions.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
9 Second Club

so I guess its the safe bet to just keep doing it like i do.Have it in neutral and use the TB button
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
How would putting the car in neutral and holding the trans brake make you go backwards??

Does that mean that when you're staged and you activate the trans brake....you're going to go backwards??? lol

I'm not saying your trans guy is wrong...I'm fairly new to the auto world myself. This will be new info for me too.
The way a transbrake works is it will activate reverse while in first gear, so when you release the t-brake (reverse) you can be in first gear with the converter loaded.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear a trans brake has the trans going Fwd and Rev at the same time, I guess that's what helps it not move as it binds. So if you take the selector out drive with the button engaged it then would become a reverse? I'm sure the guys who build these can chime in?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thats correct...not sure how they all work but when in Drive, with the trans brake engaged, the car is pushing in reverse while trying to go forward, when the shifter is in neutral the car will move in reverse using the trans brake....my buddy has one and thats how he is "supposed" to go in reverse....not sure how bad it is to use reverse instead of the trans brake though....

funny i know how they work but not how to install one or where to get one
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Mine is supossed to work like that too.. Coan Valve body...
Old 05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Camaro94SS
Yeah thats correct...not sure how they all work but when in Drive, with the trans brake engaged, the car is pushing in reverse while trying to go forward, when the shifter is in neutral the car will move in reverse using the trans brake....my buddy has one and thats how he is "supposed" to go in reverse....not sure how bad it is to use reverse instead of the trans brake though....

funny i know how they work but not how to install one or where to get one
Here is my post from above...."I have found on the dyno with some break set ups that the trans will back up in reverse or in neutral with the brake applied. Some versions, "I will not mention any names", If you back up in reverse when neutral is supposed to be used, you loose all cooler flow/cooler pressure. Make sure when you get a trans break you follow the directions."

If you do not have cooler flow and pressure, you can and will damage internal components. Just wanted to clarify this and if you are looking for one I might be able to help you out. Vince
Old 05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I am definitely looking for one. Just wanna know how hard it is to install it myself?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

To me it is quite simple but I do this for a living. The trans has to be removed in order to do it. The direct/high reverse drum needs to have a .062 bleed hole drilled in it. Also there are some springs for the drum that need to be installed in the spring cage. The valve body is a complete unit that is sold as apart of the kit. The directions are pretty straight forward for a qualified individual. If you would like to purchase a kit give Chuck a call at 1-630-350-7776.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will definitely give that number a call soon once i find a reliable mechanic to install the trans brake and possible trans-go....im very interested in a trans-brake though
Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

No need for the trans go with the T-brake kit. It comes complete with the solenoid, Valve body, modulator/break valve, springs for the direct drum, PR spring and a separator plate. Vince
Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

could you PM me a price for the trans-brake kit? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transbrake Reverse question