Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost 2nd

Last night I was on the highway and went wide open throttle. The car down shifted and bounced off the revlimiter. I let off the gas and the car went back in 3rd then 4th. After getting off the highway the car has 1,3,4 but no 2nd. 3rd comes in at 4-4500 and then its all good. The car has 1st then nothing untill 4K and then 3rd and 4th. I know it hits 3rd at 4K because its still in 1st and hits higher RPMs before the outputshaft speed is correct for shifting at 25% throttle. The PCM is commanding 2nd at the correct time but nothing happens not even a slip and the PCM says that its in 2nd but nothing untill it shift to 3rd then I have an actual shift. I have everything but no 2nd not automatic or in 2nd range. 4th is great and holds good. What broke to not have 2nd but 4th and everything else.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would pull the servo assembly and check the second gear servo , 2nd and fourth both use the band so its aparently not burned, That would be my first check.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I thought the same, but today I removed the servo assembly and it all looked good. The trans is running around 160 degrees and fluid looks good. 4th holds great even under a decent load, 3-4, 4-3 shifts great. 1st is great but no 1-2 or 3-2, 3-4 is at the correct time and the trans tries to shift 1-2 at the correct time but nothing happens. On the scanner when 2nd is applied it receives a 2nd pressure reading and thinks its in gear. I don't feel anything, not even a slight slip and the low temps, good fluid and working 4th say its not a burnt up band.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Mine did the same thing. All gears good except no second.

When I called the transmission place I went with for the "performance" rebuild all he said was the inside was F'ed up. This should have been my first clue of how bad this shop was.
This trans then lost 3rd and 4th after 25k. Some said wow 25k is pretty good...........I say BS. I called the shop and told him his POS tranny that would supposedly hold anything I threw at it broke after only 25k he said and I quote........"Most of my transmissions don't last that long"
I was speechless.
Anywho, off topic but this is part of the reason why I hate the 4L60E so much.
Perhaps I will give it another chance in a few years.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if the servos and seals are good and we know the band is good the next place to look is the valve body and accumulator

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Banned

Plastic accumulator piston broken?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by extremessz
Last night I was on the highway and went wide open throttle. The car down shifted and bounced off the revlimiter. I let off the gas and the car went back in 3rd then 4th. After getting off the highway the car has 1,3,4 but no 2nd. 3rd comes in at 4-4500 and then its all good. The car has 1st then nothing untill 4K and then 3rd and 4th. I know it hits 3rd at 4K because its still in 1st and hits higher RPMs before the outputshaft speed is correct for shifting at 25% throttle. The PCM is commanding 2nd at the correct time but nothing happens not even a slip and the PCM says that its in 2nd but nothing untill it shift to 3rd then I have an actual shift. I have everything but no 2nd not automatic or in 2nd range. 4th is great and holds good. What broke to not have 2nd but 4th and everything else.
I have seen this complaint before. Is it possible that it's lock up you are feeling and not 4th? I have seen many guy's come in with a very similar complaint. If you are correct that you do indeed have 4th gear, it is is still very possible that you can have a band issue. The band could be partally broke or burnt. There are two different servos that use the same pin. The stroke of the pin may diffent between the two servo pistons. (2nd & 4th) This being said in 4th the band might still be able to function. Other causes could possibly be a broken accumulator/acc spring or even a broken spring in the valve body. I would get it fixed or figured out before driving it much longer otherwise you will probably be looking for a new transmission.