Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grenaded planetarys.. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grenaded planetarys.. now what?

Finally decided to take my car to a local trans shop and let them see exactly what went wrong with it being i didnt have the time to mess with it. Basically the planetarys exploded and there is metal everywhere.. they had to use a slide hammer to even get the internals out. The trans was built by a pretty reputable shop that is in central IL. So right now my trans is sitting on the bench all apart and they are waiting for me to tell them what to do with it. I figure the labor will kill me with them having to disassemble the entire thing to get all the metal out.. im sure the converter has some it it too. For the money i will spend on fixing the broken parts and all the labor it will take to mop up the mess of metal inside this thing i could just go ahead and buy a built tranny from a sponsor on here with a new converter right? Then turn around and sell my converter (Yank SS3600) to get some money back
Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Stock 4 pinion planets? or, maybe the cheap off shore 5 pinions (read China)...Anyway, I shift mine at 7k with the Chevy 5 pinions and would be the way to go....(they always look good during inspection). If you don't trust a shop to build a strong tranny...then yes, I would buy from one of the people on here....
Old 05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The stock 4 pinion planets are actually very strong , However the off shore 5 pinions are not even in there ball park. But excluding there are actually many reasons the stock planets may have failed, Without seeing pictures it would be hard to say, But lube is one of the biggest reasons for failure.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

So the planetaries aren't usually a problem? Its not that i wouldn't "trust" a local shop to fix or build one for me, although the luck i have had with other local shops i probably shouldn't. Its just that they don't exactly specialize in these transmissions and for all trouble i have had i don't want to have to worry about it anymore.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

While planets can break they are not generally a failure point , Unless lube isnt present.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Well guys I just ordered my Level 2 tranny from Performabuilt with their 4000 stall!! I cant wait to get my car back!

P. S. Performabuilt you PMs are full I guess i sent too many questions lol
Old 05-04-2007, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks and fixed that and got the address .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadBlackZ
Well guys I just ordered my Level 2 tranny from Performabuilt with their 4000 stall!! I cant wait to get my car back!

P. S. Performabuilt you PMs are full I guess i sent too many questions lol

From what I have seen around here you will not be disappointed...

As an example of what a good built 4L60E will handle...Speed Secrets did ours and we have 3 600+rwhp cars on the race team, running at the drags and street without a failure. Also a Hummer with 9PSI on a 402 with no problems...4L60's can take big power if built properly (and last).