Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get 4l60e trans filter seal out sugestions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cannot get 4l60e trans filter seal out suggestions...

Well it has been the better part of two hours now fighting with my trans. I started by draining the stock pan, which as everyone knows, is not fun due to trans fluid going everywhere because the stock pan has no drain plug. So after getting it all out and dropping the filter on my 4l60e I seriously cannot get the old seal out (rubber/steel ring). I have tried just about everything I can think of with no success. Is there a specific tool I need in order to get the job done? Any suggestions would be helpful as I do need the car back together in the next six hours. I think I am gonna take a break because I am about ready to take a hammer to the damn thing.

Last edited by SmallTires; 05-08-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:49 PM

I use a small precision flat-head screw driver ( like the kind used to work on watches) to pry just behind the seal. Gently pry it out just enough to get a small pair of locking surgeons' pliers on it. Then lock the pliers on the seal and twist it out. Just be carefull not to damage the soft aluminum in seal/filter cavity. I have done this about 7 times between all my cars with the 700/4l60e. There are other ways I am sure but this works best for me. Although the tranny fluid on my fingers doesn't make gripping the handles any easier. Hope that helps.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Why take the seal out? It's permanently pressed into the pump cover for a reason. It should not need to be replaced to do a simple filter change!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dknight16
Why take the seal out? It's permanently pressed into the pump cover for a reason. It should not need to be replaced to do a simple filter change!

its not permanently pressed in. The seal comes with a rebuild kit.

but i agree that you don't need to take it out after every filter change. I have only seen that seal worn out one time.

If you want to take it out you need a screw driver with a fine flat head or a bushing cutter and a hammer. collapse one side of the seal and pull it out with a pair of pliers or a scribe.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Montec
its not permanently pressed in. The seal comes with a rebuild kit.

but i agree that you don't need to take it out after every filter change. I have only seen that seal worn out one time.

If you want to take it out you need a screw driver with a fine flat head or a bushing cutter and a hammer. collapse one side of the seal and pull it out with a pair of pliers or a scribe.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

If I recall, I removed it by simply screwing a 1/2" standard brass pipe fitting into it with a 90 elbow on the end. Then hit the inside portion of the elbow away from the pump to literally pop it out. The Tranny repair video describes this little trick
Old 05-12-2007, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Place a long thin screwdriver on one side of the filter seal, and tap with a hammer (straight in on one side)...
this causes the seal to rotate (screwdriver pushes in one side, the opposite side comes out)...
use long nose pliers to grab the side that is sticking out, and pull down and out.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I work for GMPT Transmission Engineering and spent over 10 years on the 4L60. The filter seal is designed so that it does not need to be replaced under normal conditions - regardless of what may come in rebuild kits.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I also in the transmission buisness no need to take it out just throw away the new one and leave it alone.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I work for GMPT Transmission Engineering and spent over 10 years on the 4L60. The filter seal is designed so that it does not need to be replaced under normal conditions - regardless of what may come in rebuild kits.
"but i agree that you don't need to take it out after every filter change. I have only seen that seal worn out one time."

I guess you missed this statement that I agreed with. Sorry if I made you angry! I would not normally replace the seal either unless the filter had very little resistance inside the seal. I do however replace the seal on all of my rebuilds. Is this the wrong thing to do from an engineering stand point? Vince
Old 05-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I do however replace the seal on all of my rebuilds. Is this the wrong thing to do from an engineering stand point? Vince
No. But damaging the seal bore of the pump cover is a concern if not done carefully. An average owner using a screwdriver and a hammer during a fluid and filter change is definitely a risky manouver.

I guess I took offence to the "stupid" smiley. I'm OK now.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I guess I took offence to the "stupid" smiley.
I was just having fun with Montec. I believe he is a builder that is on here as well. Welcome to the site. Vince
Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

yep im a builder, at least i try to be. lol.

like i said ive only seen that seal worn out ONCE, it was in a 4T60e. The filter was sitting in the pan when i pulled it off.

With that being said, i dont normally change the seal, only if its worn. Just gotta make sure to clean around the seal really well.

to darknight:
the seal is NOT permanently pressed in, that was my point. The seal my have been designed to be maintenance free but that doesn't make it permanent.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No. But damaging the seal bore of the pump cover is a concern if not done carefully. An average owner using a screwdriver and a hammer during a fluid and filter change is definitely a risky manouver.

I guess I took offence to the "stupid" smiley. I'm OK now.
Never had a problem, never nicked the bore.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

Ah our monthly 'how to remove a filter seal' thread.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15 seconds easiest method

Originally Posted by SmallTires
Well it has been the better part of two hours now fighting with my trans. I started by draining the stock pan, which as everyone knows, is not fun due to trans fluid going everywhere because the stock pan has no drain plug. So after getting it all out and dropping the filter on my 4l60e I seriously cannot get the old seal out (rubber/steel ring). I have tried just about everything I can think of with no success.
I just got it out within 15 seconds easiest thing I’ve done I was working on it for a day and a half couldn’t get it so I decided to grab a 1/2 inch 18” pole with threads on the top then a T piece on the bottom to hit down with a hammer so you screw it up where the seal is and not to far but right where you think the edge of the seal is and then hit the bottom where the T piece is at with a hammer and then bam there’s your seal👍🏻 let me know if this helps
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3611.mov (6.66 MB, 25 views)
The following users liked this post:
FranksCustomTrans (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 405 Likes on 270 Posts

This is something I would not do as long as filter still fits tight into the seal. I do it during rebuilds but its easy upside down or with pump removed. But in car only nessesary if filter feels loose or comes out real easy. Many times when I take apart 200k units the filter still fits tight.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranksCustomTrans:
bbond105 (12-12-2023), strutaeng (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 07:42 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

Since this is a 16 year old thread, it is best closed. Start a new thread if anyone wants to continue the discussion.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrvedit:
FranksCustomTrans (12-12-2023), vorteciroc (12-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Cannot get 4l60e trans filter seal out sugestions...