Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The powerglide effect

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The powerglide effect

In an attempt to make my 4000 stall H/C car easier to launch on the street I've programmed the car to launch in second gear when I have the shifter in second. I then shift the car manually to OD at around 55 and let it shift into drive whenever it sees fit.

The launch is much more controllable and the car still leaves hard. I just thought I'd post this up as an idea to those with higher stall converters looking for a consistant way to hook on the street.

I'll try this method at the track to see how much it gives up in the sixty foot. My guess is that it isn't much.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Some cars do this from the factory. Mine will start in 2nd and stay in 2nd, if put in 2nd.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Launching!

That certainly makes the process much simpler

Has anyone tried this at the track to see (besides guys using powerglides)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how launching in 2nd will provide any gains at the track.

Why don't you just work on trying to get more traction, tires, torque arm, LCA's, springs, etc.

1st gear it tough to hook for sure on the street, but if you set up your suspension right and have a good tire along with rolling the pedal to WOT (not flashing) it's manageable.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I don't see how launching in 2nd will provide any gains at the track.

Why don't you just work on trying to get more traction, tires, torque arm, LCA's, springs, etc.

1st gear it tough to hook for sure on the street, but if you set up your suspension right and have a good tire along with rolling the pedal to WOT (not flashing) it's manageable.
For the record: I'm running ET streets and boxed LCA's. I don't really want to throw a bunch of money at suspension parts that may or may not help me hook on the street.

I'm not necessarily looking for gains, I'm looking to inexpensively minimize losses and improve consistancy. On the street, first gear with this setup is downright violent and difficult to manage. With the second gear launch, the wheelspin is predictable and less likely to totally blow the race. Obviously the second gear launch leaves a little bit on the table at a fully prepped track, my question is "How much?"

I'll try to get some video of some country road launches both ways.

Last edited by VORTECFCAR; 05-10-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Mine will also start out in second if the shifter is there. I like it this way because I can launch in first, then when I bump the shifter to 2nd it shifts immediately.

Hell, if your car 60's better in 2nd, I say leave it there. Either that or get your self somemore grip.

I can remember when I had my turbocharged 4 cyl. pinto. The car had a 9 inch with a spool and only weighed 2100 lbs. Launching in 1st with a 3.90:1 T5 didn't load the engine enough to build boost. I started launching in second gear and dropped .13 off of my 60's.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VORTECFCAR
For the record: I'm running ET streets and boxed LCA's. I don't really want to throw a bunch of money at suspension parts that may or may not help me hook on the street.

I'm not necessarily looking for gains, I'm looking to inexpensively minimize losses and improve consistancy. On the street, first gear with this setup is downright violent and difficult to manage. With the second gear launch, the wheelspin is predictable and less likely to totally blow the race. Obviously the second gear launch leaves a little bit on the table at a fully prepped track, my question is "How much?"

I'll try to get some video of some country road launches both ways.
What gears are you running? 26" tires I assume right? What 60's do you cut at the track now? I honestly think with the right setup you can get it to hook up pretty well on the street atleast enough to benefit more launching in 1 vs 2. A good adjustable TA with a -2 or so pinion will help a lot. Of course if you peg it from under 5mph your screwed, but if you roll up to 10-15mph and give it a 1-2 second pedal drop your can probably hook up. From a dead stop your gonna have to pedal it a little or atleast heat up those tires. Starting in 2nd your not efficiently matching your speed to the tranny gear ratio.

Beleive me I know 1st is a bitch, but I think you are leaving more on the table than you think by avoiding it.