Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E QDM or PSM?

Old 05-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E QDM or PSM?

I have an ATSG book and it refers to the pressure switch manifold and also a quad driver module.
Aren't these both the same part?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No the pressure manifold switch is inside the trans. It confirms which clutch circuits are applied via pressure switch. The quad driver module is pretty much a computer. Two totally different parts.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

Where is the QDM located?
I'm helping someone in another forum, he did a th400 to 4L80E swap in a '90 454ss truck. I bought my '92 silverado with the 4L80 missing I had a bit of trouble installing the '98 4L80E. At that time I traced all wires back to the ECM and nothing said quad driver module.
He's getting a code 83 which is quad driver and tcc fault--cause--inappropriate voltage detected in the tcc circuit. He's also getting a code 39 which I think is caused by the code 83.
Code 39 is TCC stuck off--cause--If tcc slip is greater than 65 rpm for 2 seconds it sets code 39 and lockes out tcc and 4th.
This guy did an ECM swap which require repinning the harnesses.
I might suggest he find a shop that has a breakout box to run the trans, see if it works, then look into his wiring.
Does this sound like good advice?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Teching In

The QDM is part of the PCM Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which controls both the engine and the transmission prior to 2006 MY. GMPT only recently split the PCM into separate ECM & TCM. The new 6-speeds have the TCM internal to the transmission.

Last edited by dknight16; 05-14-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Where is the QDM located?
I'm helping someone in another forum, he did a th400 to 4L80E swap in a '90 454ss truck. I bought my '92 silverado with the 4L80 missing I had a bit of trouble installing the '98 4L80E. At that time I traced all wires back to the ECM and nothing said quad driver module.
He's getting a code 83 which is quad driver and tcc fault--cause--inappropriate voltage detected in the tcc circuit. He's also getting a code 39 which I think is caused by the code 83.
Code 39 is TCC stuck off--cause--If tcc slip is greater than 65 rpm for 2 seconds it sets code 39 and lockes out tcc and 4th.
This guy did an ECM swap which require repinning the harnesses.
I might suggest he find a shop that has a breakout box to run the trans, see if it works, then look into his wiring.
Does this sound like good advice?
I believe QDM is located in the computer. When you did the conversion did you get a special harness for the 80 to the computer that you are using? Also is the computer capable of running a program for the 4l80e? It might need to be re-flashed with that program. I believe the 80 came out in 91 so the computer may not control the 80. Sorry not to be of more help here I have not worked on a car in a long time. I would much rather play with a trans on my bench!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dknight16
The new 6-speeds have the TCM internal to the transmission.
I'm hearing that they are having issues with that project. I've also been told that the internal computer needs to be flashed before it is run on a dyno or even in the car or truck. Just got to love new headaches.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Teching In

The new 6-speed controls integration scheme has been a challenge to say the least. GMPT, Mercedes, and ZF have all taken the TCU inside the transmission. GMPT is taking integration to an even higher level than the Germans by integrating all of the electro-machanicals (solenoids, sensors & switches) into 1 self-contained module called a TEHCM. The TECHM has to be flashed before it can do anything. And given that the whole thing is plastic welded and riveted together, it will drive the aftermarket service industry absolutely crazy.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I believe QDM is located in the computer. When you did the conversion did you get a special harness for the 80 to the computer that you are using? Also is the computer capable of running a program for the 4l80e? It might need to be re-flashed with that program. I believe the 80 came out in 91 so the computer may not control the 80. Sorry not to be of more help here I have not worked on a car in a long time. I would much rather play with a trans on my bench!
I never did a conversion I just traced every wire looking for a problem.

This guy I'm helping is just getting codes 39 and 83. I recommened he replace the tcc solenoid first, seems like the easiest thing to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L80E QDM or PSM?