Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E performance rebuild documnetation (Photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E performance rebuild documnetation (Photos)

All,
I'm trying my hand at building a performance rebuild of a 4L80E and will be documenting everything for all to see and re-use. This is based upon the multiple questions that have been (and will be) asked and answered for me and others. I plan to complete this over a 30 day period not including delays in getting parts, tools, etc. I don't really have the space to do it in a garage so it will be done in my basement. I will include detailed photos and explanation of the build up. If you have any questions or suggestions please PM me.

I have never rebuilt a transmission. My back ground is in computers and I can do minor automotive work. I have a 1968 fire bird convertible that I am putting an LS1 and 4L60E in from a 98 camaro as the drive train. I plan on putting the 4L80E later on as I have very little background on the 4L60E (all I know is that it currently works) and I also wanted a "built" 4L80E that can handle more horse power as I will be performing additional engine upgrades.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

The transmission that I will be building is a 1995 4L80E 4x4 from a 2500 truck. I purchased this transmission as a re-buildable core for $50. The reverse had failed and the 1-2 shift while still working was close to failing. After posting a question of could a 4WD transmission could be converted to 2WD I found out that all I will need to do is change the output shaft and remove and replace a freeze plug in the back of the case with a seal with a small lube hole in it to allow for lube to the tail housing bushing. Other than that the tail housings are pretty much the same for the 2wd applications unless it was equipped with a parking break. Vince at Finish Line Transmissions was happy to give me the information as well as provide the items I will need for the conversion. I will also be contacting Vince about the purchase of performance parts they carry as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

That should be entertaining, just like the failed 4L60E sticky. That should be un stickied IMO.
If you're going to do one shorten the build time, I've stayed up until 3 am on a work day building stuff. And when I have something go wrong I don't leave people hanging like the 4L60E build up sticky. I've taken transmissions out three times in one weekend to get them right. No cameras, nothing.
And yes I have a full time job, I work an average of 11 hours a day and on my days off if I were building a transmission for a sticky thread I'd stay on it 12+ hours, done it before.

Heres the best piece of advice you could get----do the build up, take the pictures, write it up, run the trans for a while THEN post it all. Don't do a build up that failed and leave everyone hanging.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Went out to the local hardware store and purchased an additional stand to work on. Picture of the box and what it looked like after assembly:

Says it can withstand 1000 pounds but I won't get any where near that weight.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

Step 1: Clean the transmission housing. Tonight I will be cleaning the transmission housing and bringing it back to Aluminum. For cleaning the transmission the easiest thing to use is a wire wheel / cup and a drill. Attach the wire wheel to the drill and start removing all rust, dirt, and grime. The wire wheel also will lightly work the surface of the housing for you so when you prime and paint there is less prep work. Since we are changing out the pan with a higher capacity, deeper pan I won't bother to clean the one currently attached.