Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing it into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwing it into Reverse

This may sound very silly but as I was cruising toward a red light an old, beat-up Honda hatchback downshifted but into reverse by accident. The back-up lights lit up and there was an awful grinding noise followed by brake lights.

I wanted to know if this can happen in an automatic transmission? I had bad daydreams of driving a drunk friend on the freeway who would knock the shifter forward into R and destroy my drivetrain.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will tear so much **** up it wont even be funny. it would strip the gears for sure and much more. dont do it
Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I would never do it and especially not in my car but for the sake of wondering, the computer and transmission will actually allow the drivetrain to go into R while the car is already at speed going forward? Ouch.

Quick second question, again if I was cruising on the freeway in OD, if someone reached over and turned the key and shut the engine off -- well will the key turn? If so, the engine is off so it would basically lock, stopping the transmission, stopping the rear wheels, then making for a movie-style crash and burn. Am I off on this?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

I dunno how they could "knock" it out of gear into reverse without pushing in the button on the shift ****, unless the button is broke. If it was in gear and someone turned the ignition switch off drivetrain wont just stop and lock up either. Done it before nothing like that ever happened.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
Well, I would never do it and especially not in my car but for the sake of wondering, the computer and transmission will actually allow the drivetrain to go into R while the car is already at speed going forward? Ouch.

Quick second question, again if I was cruising on the freeway in OD, if someone reached over and turned the key and shut the engine off -- well will the key turn? If so, the engine is off so it would basically lock, stopping the transmission, stopping the rear wheels, then making for a movie-style crash and burn. Am I off on this?
Turn the motor off and you will continue to roll.....
Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

i think on some cars if you put it into R while moving foward it doesnt engage until lower speed.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

To my knowledge the only 2 gears you can go in without pushing the button is drive and neutral. The other gears require the shift **** to be pushed. I don't think the key can be turned off with out the brake being pushed.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Launching!

sounds like you need to strap your friends down and keep them away from the drivers seat....
Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

I've done it when my car was an A4. I was logging something with HP Tuners and manually shifting, for some dumb reason I had my finger on the button. It hit reverse going IIRC around 80mph, it just locked the tires up and stalled the engine. But I also had my hand on the shifter so it was only in reverse for a second. It ran no different after that. In fact I took it apart later to put the rest of the shift kit in and didn't see anything unusual.