Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted opinions on whether or not a tranny can get this hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted opinions on whether or not a tranny can get this hot

Haven't had time to check on it anymore cuz I've been working my *** off. I've got an Autometer trans temp gauge installed in the car and the other night, that SOB stayed pegged over 250* all night. I've not checked the internal temp on my scanner versus the gauge yet but I'm hoping the sender or gauge is off. Running the Probuilt 4l60e with Edge 3400 (lockup) and Moroso plate cooler with TCI (synthetic) RTF and Derale "tubed" trans pan. I kept thinking there's no way it can be that hot. It set for a while and couldn't cool more than 10*. We weren't in stop and go much, quite a bit of highway. I'm going to buy a cooler w/fan after I'm able to cruise around with my laptop and find out.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

It is possible it is getting that hot , Are you running through the radiator and what was the engine temp if so, Another question is where is your sending unit located .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-28-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Quick response! No I am not running through the radiator, Moroso plate cooloer only (mounted in front of air dam on bottom of radiator cradle). Figured it'd be getting plenty of air there. Engine was running hot too but since I was not going into the radiator, that's moot. Sender is located on in the pressure test port of tranny on driver side, half way up. I was gonna run it and test it today but my dad sent me out to haul hay, I'm just in for lunch right now.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Teching In

move the sender to the pan.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Agreed move the sender to the pan , In the test port you are primarily measuring the case temperature Which is affected by the engine/exhaust etc around it . Its not a good representation of fluild temp

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-28-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I had researched it a long time ago and the concensus was that the pressure test port was close. I'll know more when I can put the laptop on it and read internal temp.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put it in the pan.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have the same problem only after extended WOT runs or when driving in the rain. The wire that was connected to the sending unit had built up a little surface corrosion and created an open circuit causing my Autometer gauge to read way past 250F. Cleaned and sealed the connection and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I used to have the same problem only after extended WOT runs or when driving in the rain. The wire that was connected to the sending unit had built up a little surface corrosion and created an open circuit causing my Autometer gauge to read way past 250F. Cleaned and sealed the connection and haven't had a problem since.
Something like that is what I was hoping for. But like it was said, maybe I'm seeing the temp off the case or something. I have another sender that I could try out--hope this one's bad.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

As long as no lines are plugged and the fluid is in fact going through the cooler (in the right direction) the gauge or sending unit are probably giving false readings.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

I have my trans temp gauge in the pressure port and I also used my buddies scanner to see what it was. My gauge was reading 150 and his scanner was 158. So my gauge was only 8 degrees off his scanner. I pretty much have my scanner in there to get an idea I dont expect it to be completely accurate but as long as it close. Maybe recheck ur electrical like some of the others said.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
As long as no lines are plugged and the fluid is in fact going through the cooler (in the right direction) the gauge or sending unit are probably giving false readings.
That thing is supposed to have a filter element in it. I might need to check it out. However, if I go to the trouble of taking the lines off the cooler, I plan on putting a cooler w/fan in its place. I at least wanted to drive the car with the laptop today but my dad had other plans. It might be tomorrow evening before I can even drive it.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Finally got to drive the car today with the laptop on it. Gauge is definitely off. However, trans isn't completely cool either. When I got home, peak temperature was 213* as read by the scanner. About 25 miles round trip, some putting around town. Read 209* most of the way home. Temperature is 93* out, 50% humidity (just so you know how miserable it is). Admiral performance considering the outside air or should I be running cooler yet? Second question--I had to splice the sender wire for that gauge, am I getting too much resistance causing higher readings? (I am not much of an electrician.)
Old 05-31-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Went ahead and ordered a Derale cooler w/fan. I was mistaken about the Moroso cooler I have now. (It was on the car when I got it.) It's not a plate cooler, it's still a tube and fin design. It also says "Not for street use" so maybe it cannot cool sufficiently enough for the long running times of street driving. Maybe the filter is clogged but they're $20 and if I go to the trouble of taking it apart, I want it to cool for sure. I'm not taking any chances and replacing it.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sounds like a plan , though those temps are not really bad with the ambient temp that high considering a high stall and no lockup with around town puttering .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Kinda what I thought. I would shift down to 'D' in short stretches cuz it can lockup at the lower speeds and shudders a little. I want it to run cool on longer cruises so I'll just do away with the Moroso. It's not even rated for GVW. The Derale I ordered was just 15,500 but it's got the fan and I got a stat too. Do you think the spliced wire is part of the problem with my gauge sender or just fact it's in the port? I plan on buying some fittings and adapters to move the sender down to the pressure line when I implement the new cooler.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The presure line on the cooler will also give relativly high temps since the fliuld there comes from the converter. The best bet is still the pan. On the guage yes I would say the location of the sensor is a big part of it. Though the spliced wire could have and affect, I would solder it together then shrink wrap it that should solve any issue that may cause, But again what your looking for is a good average temp and really the only place your going to get that is in the pan.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My th400 a week ago at the track was up around 250, but it was damn near 100 degrees that day... usually on a decently hot day (say 85) and a good 20 mile or so cruise, it gets up to 180 to 200 and stays there, I'm using an autometer ultralight guage fwiw.

If it's at 250 all the time, that seems a little hot, but I'd bet the tranny cooler swap will help that. fwiw I'm running a flexalite 7x21x3/4 unit attached right to my radiator.. not sure what it's rated for but it's a pretty good sized unit.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The presure line on the cooler will also give relativly high temps since the fliuld there comes from the converter. The best bet is still the pan. On the guage yes I would say the location of the sensor is a big part of it. Though the spliced wire could have and affect, I would solder it together then shrink wrap it that should solve any issue that may cause, But again what your looking for is a good average temp and really the only place your going to get that is in the pan.
Right, but the pressure line would be less of a hassle! Plus if I see that it's cool coming out of the converter, then I'm golden every where else.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Right, but the pressure line would be less of a hassle! Plus if I see that it's cool coming out of the converter, then I'm golden every where else.
It wont be cool coming out of the converter.