Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Tranny Gurus Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Tranny Gurus Please

I'm having an issue that is driving me fking crazy.

My converter wont lock up most of the time. the weird thing is if i shift to neutral while cruising and turn the ignition off then restart the car (all this while going down the road (dosent matter what speed)) The converter will lock for a few mins then it will just stop locking then ill have to restart car again for a little while etc.etc..

Now my ? is, is the lu solenoid bad?
Maybe i'm thinking to much into this but heres some background. I bought the car w/ a recently rebuilt 4l60e. It was redone because previous owner lost 3-4 on a trip from N. carolina to Atlanta. I had car for aprox 2k miles then i lost 3-4 (same tranny) after a 5 hour round trip on interstate (coincidence ? )(lu seemed to be acting up, in and out when ever it felt like it.(3600 TCI super street fighter) no tune on car except tq mgmt removed.
Now back to now(New RPM tranny with all the goodies and yank 4000k stall) and im wondering if its solenoid or maybe pcm is bad due to prior issues.
The car was tuned by Vengance then the driveability by me. I've raised the misfire tables so not the problem.
It just seems strange to me that if i restart the car i'tl lu for a while then stop.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Doug
Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

many things could cause the lockup to do that....can you scan it and see if the brake switch is ope or closed.....trans temp could do it if it is too cold?.....solenoid could be ba thay run about 18 bucks.....basically the PCM controls the lockup so i would scan it and see what is happening have it put on a tech 2 and do a snapshot
Old 06-02-2007, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you looked at the PCM data to see if the lockup is being enabled, I know you turned up the miss fire tables but that sure sounds like a control issue rather than a transmission electrical/mechanical issue with you being able to turn the car off and it resume. Sounds like the PCM is seeing something it dosent like and disabling lockup.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-02-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Tech 2 shows enabled just wont lu
If i dont get this fixed soon i'm gonna just say fk it and put a t56 in it this is a pain in the ***.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

solenoid took a crap maybe....seal leaking on the noid....or the valve is stuck...maybe seal on input shaft
Old 06-02-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could have a shorted wire also
Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Another possibility would be a restricted screen in the PWM solenoid , Though if RPM disables PWM it would not be and issue but i dont know wether they do or not , but would explain the draindown as debris flows away from the little screen on the solenoid when switch is off , Or as mentioned a mechanical fault with the LOCKUP solenoid ,I would try replacing both the lockup solenoid and the PWM solenoid.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

i'm by no means an expert i just keep going back to the previous problems with tranny now that all thats been changed it seems more likey that its a wiring or pcm issue but ill go ahead and try replacing solenoids first. cheaper way first ya know.

Thanks Doug
Old 06-02-2007, 10:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Good luck and if you need any technical advice diagrams etc just give me a yell

Call 888-744-6542