Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick the right torque converter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me pick the right torque converter!!!

Here's the setup:

2002 Corvette
2.73 gears
P1SC ProCharger @7psi, approx. 500rwhp
Stock Cam
Bolt-ons (headers, exhaust, etc.)
Street Tires (GoodYear GS-D3)

Most important factors to me:

-reliability: I want a good converter that will stand up to 500+rwhp. In the future I may make some changes and go up in hp some, but with this partciular car never 600rwhp or more. Keeping it in the 500s no matter what. Need a converter that can stand up to anything under 600rwhp.

-as little heat as possible: I know with an aftermarket unit my tranny temps will rise, but I would like them to as little as possible. Currently I have never gone past 189 degrees, I'd like that to increase as little as possible (stock transmission), so as little slippage as possible.

-traction: I don't want anything too extreme. 2600-3000 stall. Just enough to get me where the blower wakes up. I know 3200 or 3600 would be better, but this car does not see the track and I run street tires only.

-tightness: again, keeping the 2.73 gears. Don't want a sloppy feel. From what I undertand the lower the stall speed and higher the STR, the tighter the converter, is this correct?

-accuracy: if i decide on say a 2800rpm stall, then I damn well don't want it to stall to 3200rpm. I want a converter/company that delivers accurately on advertised performance.

So, throw out some different converters for me! I was thinking soemthing like the yank ss 3200, but with a lower stall and identical str, like a 2800stall with 2.1 str? Can anyone make this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Wow, I have the Exact same setup in an 04 C5. I do have a small blower cam though. I need a converter also. I am interested in the same things you are. I am considering 3000 to 3200 stall. My bigest concern was with heat.

Is your P-1 with FM or twins? I have the FM(A&A Kit), ad thats why I am worried about the heat.

LionelC5
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would consider one of our converters they are very tight and acurate. We have some additional internal mods to help keep them cooler. They are and excellent product.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-31-2007, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would consider one of our converters they are very tight and acurate. We have some additional internal mods to help keep them cooler. They are and excellent product.
What would you recomend? Being as I still have the 2.73 gear and considering keeping it? What diferance would it make to the converter choice if i changes to 3.73 or 3.42?

Last edited by lionelc-5; 05-31-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would suggest our 9.5 3000. changing the gears to a higher numeracle value if the stall is ordered for a 273 will lower the stall somewhat

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionelc-5
Wow, I have the Exact same setup in an 04 C5. I do have a small blower cam though. I need a converter also. I am interested in the same things you are. I am considering 3000 to 3200 stall. My bigest concern was with heat.

Is your P-1 with FM or twins? I have the FM(A&A Kit), ad thats why I am worried about the heat.

LionelC5
I also have the A&A kit, however I just bought the ECS bracket/tensioner assembly and should get it installed in the next few weeks. My A&A setup was used and after a few days shredded the inside layer of the belt. A local shop used some laser alignment tools and ended up shimming the spacers for the bracket 1/8inch. So far no shredded belts, but I get a chirping sound now and then, so I am replacing the whole bracket.

If you ever want to upgrade, the ECS bracket is much thicker, and the tensioner is a separate piece, plus there is another idler pulley/bracket that bolts to the driver side head. The whole setup is a shorter belt route, tighter angles around pulleys i.e. more belt wrap, and much more reliable with pulleys under 4".
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest our 9.5 3000. changing the gears to a higher numeracle value if the stall is ordered for a 273 will lower the stall somewhat
What is the str rating of that converter? Will it actually stall to right at 3000rpm?

Also, I didn't know gear changes effected stall speed. So if I later upgraded a built 3.15, the stall would lower? How much, to 2800rpm? Lower?

Oh crap, I swore I would keep the 2.73. I'm getting carried away again. $$$

Finally, how much $$$ approximately? Do you have different options as far as extra strength, extra mounting bolts/holes etc?

Sorry for all the ???, but I don't know much about your converters. I know Yank and Vigilante are good (those are the two I was looking at), and I also know to avoid TCI, Fuddle, etc.

Tell me a little meore about your converters and how they compare.

And thanks for responding!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Typically our converter STR is 1.69 Lower str equals higher efficency. Now on the stall a 3000 will flash stall very close to 3000. There are many variables that affect this of course but very close. We only have one level of 9.5 inch converter and they are well up to the task of your application. Prices are listed on our site.
As for what people think I would suggest a search . There are quite a few out there.
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by will82
I also have the A&A kit, however I just bought the ECS bracket/tensioner assembly and should get it installed in the next few weeks. My A&A setup was used and after a few days shredded the inside layer of the belt. A local shop used some laser alignment tools and ended up shimming the spacers for the bracket 1/8inch. So far no shredded belts, but I get a chirping sound now and then, so I am replacing the whole bracket.

If you ever want to upgrade, the ECS bracket is much thicker, and the tensioner is a separate piece, plus there is another idler pulley/bracket that bolts to the driver side head. The whole setup is a shorter belt route, tighter angles around pulleys i.e. more belt wrap, and much more reliable with pulleys under 4".
Thanks for the heads up! I also bought my kit used and it is still on the floor in my garage. It still has the factory pully on the head unit. How much boost are you running? Also where and how much was the ECS bracket and tensioner?

Thanks again for the info...

LionelC
Old 05-31-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionelc-5
Thanks for the heads up! I also bought my kit used and it is still on the floor in my garage. It still has the factory pully on the head unit. How much boost are you running? Also where and how much was the ECS bracket and tensioner?

Thanks again for the info...

LionelC
ECS (East Coast SuperCharging) is not a vendor here, but they are on corvetteforum. You can find a link there or just google them. Their phone # is listed on their website. $1100

I am running 7-8psi (4.10 pulley)
Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Typically our converter STR is 1.69 Lower str equals higher efficency. Now on the stall a 3000 will flash stall very close to 3000. There are many variables that affect this of course but very close. We only have one level of 9.5 inch converter and they are well up to the task of your application. Prices are listed on our site.
As for what people think I would suggest a search . There are quite a few out there.
thanks
Thanks for the response.

I had no idea that lower str was more efficient. So does this mean that this converter is more efficient than say a yank 3200 2.1str and generates less heat, but at the price of not hitting the tires as hard? If so, this sounds like the perfect converter for me. I want to get up to 3000rpm and skip the 2000-3000rpm range because the blower is not making big power in that range and the 2.73 gears are dogs. But I don't want the converter to hit so hard that I lose traction on street tires and hit a tree or something.

One final question, you talked about something you do to the converters to dissipate heat? What is this, and approx. how much higher should I expect my tranny temps to get with a 3000 1.69str stall over stock? Currently I top out at 189 degrees, I'd like to try and keep it under 200 degrees if possible. I do have a small b&m tranny cooler installed in my driver-side front air brake duct. (c5 corvette)