Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have a stall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I have a stall?

I bought my '98 Formula A4 without knowing really anything about LS1's and the f-body aftermarket world back in October. I do know how car's go and what to look for when buying a used car, just didn't know what came with or without these vehicles stock. With LS1tech I have been learning more about my car everday. The previous owner (female) told me it had a cut-out aka 'rumble plate' (her terms ), and a stereo system. I have since found out that there are bolt-in subframe connectors (they look like SLP), and an aftermarket driveshaft which are bonus's. But if she didn't disclose them, what else didn't she say there was. She was a really ditzy california girl who got it in a divorce and probably didn't know what it has. The poor car was so dirty and in disrepair but I got an excellent deal on it.
Now when i'm driving my car and punch my throttle it effortlessly jumps the rpms up to about 2800 and then the car takes off. But when I slowly add throttle it grabs and goes with power at all RPM's. Now, this is probably going to seem like a really dumb question. I've never driven a stalled vehicle before....so I really don't know what it does or feels like. To me, before I knew about stall's I would have said "Transmissions Slipping" and that's definetly what I would have guessed... but the fact that the rpm's jump so fast where if the transmission slips I'd imagine it would struggle a little bit. Car has 135k miles on it. So can you please describe what a stall feels like and then proceed to call me a du@$a## cause it feels nothing like what I described
Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well sounds like it may have around a 3000 stall converter in it with the other stuff you have mentioned it sounds likley

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks, maybe I'll take a video of it to verify.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post Some Pics Of It To
Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

1. What RPM will the car start to move?

2. Does it crawl forward when you are off the brake?

3. What RPM's do you see in 1st and 2nd gears when getting up to speed in town?

If you say it only goes to 2800rpm when you go WOT, you definetely have the stock converter, but answering those questions will help us more.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Those may not tell the whole tale. Even when I had a 4000 stall in my Trans Am it would still creep forward off the brakes at a complete stop. The only way to really know is to pull it and look or to have someone who knows cars drive it. The easiest way to tell is off from a stop though. When you press the throttle to speed up does it immediately start to pull or do the RPMs jump quickly to a point and then it start to pull. Even this may not be easy to tell if it has a small stall in it.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

might want to check for a tranny cooler(check by the front of the radiator) this might also hint at it having a stall
Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Even on the slightest incline, my SS3600 will not move the car. If I am facing uphill, I will roll backwards. It's great faking out someone who thinks you have a manual.

I expect that to change a little when I get my idle increased though. A 500rpm idle doesn't put much to the converter in the first place.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Teching In

step on the brake and feed it some fuel. where does the rpm's build to and hold at?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raejenls1
step on the brake and feed it some fuel. where does the rpm's build to and hold at?
exactly my thought process. stand on the brake (push it down all the way) and SLOWLY give it throttle until the back tires start spinning. if the back tires start spinning in between 1600-1800 rpms, you have the stock stall. if your tires aren't spinning at 2000+ rpms, you have an aftermarket stall.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raejenls1
Did that and started turning at around 1800 rpms. Guess it's a stocker and tranny that's slipping Thanks guys.