Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about v6 vs v8 4l60e debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about v6 vs v8 4l60e debate

Last year I put a 5.3 with a 4l60e tranny in my 66. The motor came out of a 2005 GMC Z71 with 12k and the tranny came from a 2006 chevy silverado with a v6 with only 2k. After some disagrement with my salvage yard guy he assured me that there was no difference between the tranny or the converter in the v6 vs v8 in these two year models. I trust this guy so I took his word for it. Much to my surprise it bolted in and for the most part worked fine until my tuner removed the TQ managment and I blew the pump.

Since putting this combo in the truck I have had what I thought was the sound of a dragging starter. Turns out it was the tourqe converter outer fins rubbing the bell housing on the tranny. The fins are slightly worn and you can see in the housing where the contact has been made. I there a different converter for the V8 that would get the spacing correct? I already plan on putting in a 13 vane pump to beef it up from the stock but wonder if I now need to swap the converter also. Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you may have had a flex plate issue .

Quick Reply: question about v6 vs v8 4l60e debate