Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost third?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost third?-new update in 5th post.

Just driving normal today the car wouldn't shift into third. I have built tranny with a huge cooler.

I put the selector in 2 and it worked fine. but had very little power in third. reved but had a small small amount of power.

I checked the fluid level and it looked good. But if i hurt something wouldn't i have small pieces of medal shavings on the tranny dip stick? the fluid was clean and had no shavings on it at all.

Last edited by partyhardoo69; 06-24-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Would depend on how and or what broke, For instance I have seen the snap ring break out of the inout drum and there be no debris in the pan which is likley if it happened suddenly

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah well i drove it to work like the way it was (.5 miles away) and on my way home from work...after letting the car sit for 3 hours....it was perfectly fine. shifted smooth though all the gears, locked up...ect. I can't see if my tranny is overheading because outlaw perofrmance "didn't know how to install my temp guage"
Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It would have to get awfully hot to cause anything like your describing . Its possible you have a faulty solenoid , But really to determine what happend if there are no codes you will have towait till it happens again and try to hook up a scanner and look at the data stream.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-23-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info,

it started happening again. I'm guessing the clutches are wearing down a lot and some time it catches and other times it doesn't? it seems if i get it to a "perfect" rpm and then put it in D it catches some times and will shift into third and fourth....

but im going to pull the tranny later in the week and bring it to my trans guy.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

thought i would post just a little update on the problem.

I got my car back from outlaw performance back in march i believe; and it turns out....(please reassure me they weren't trying to **** me over)

-they "couldn't" hook up my trans temp guage
-they put the wrong dipstick in (6" too long!!!!)
-and it was about 4qts low on fluid.

i just found all this out.

yeah figured this all out when i went to pull the tranny and no fluid came out when i loosened all the bolts.

but anyways we got the right dipstick and filled it up correctly. its leaking a little because of the gasket. but at light throttle it revves in third with a little power when i give it a lot of gas. (but not full power) and the second i let off and give it gas it will shift.

and higher throttle % it shifts with out missing a beat. I did 3 WOT runs and every one was amazing. Better then i have had in months (because of 4qts low I'm sure)

my thoughts.
-vacuum regulator on the outside of the trans.
-solenoid controlling line pressure.
-the damage has been done and pull the tranny

what do you guys think?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"-they "couldn't" hook up my trans temp guage
-they put the wrong dipstick in (6" too long!!!!)
-and it was about 4qts low on fluid.

i just found all this out."

Thats not an update, it's more information that helps a whole bunch when trying to help diagnose problems long distance and on a keyboard!!!

I don't understand how they could have gotten the "wrong dispstick", is this a 4L60E we are talking about or was there a conversion to a A3?

And yeah while driving an automatic transmission around 4 quarts low is not the best thing, it doesn't always mean it's burnt up. What did the guys at Outlaw say? is there a warranty on the unit?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

i don't know how they did it either. its a built 4L60E. They weren't even working on the trans. they were rebuilding me motor. when i got the car back from them i had to add two extra courts. I don't know how they think adding 6qts is nearly enough....

and I'm not even going to call them. they looked for any excuse they could to make me pay for THEIR mistake when the motor spun TWO bearings the second time.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a professional look at your transmission in order to help you understand what is happening. Most tranny shops do not charge to diagnose.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If you have been driving 4 quarts low on fluid I am not even sure how it would move but I will bet there would be considerable damage done to the trans while driving it

Call 888-744-6542