Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E problem,added lucas now strange shifts and speedo bugging

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E problem,added lucas now strange shifts and speedo bugging

My 4L60E slipping a few months ago and just got around to throwing some lucas in there today. Put a few oz of lucas tranny fix in, drove it around for a little bit, shifts smoother but at different points, and now I have a CLUNK when I shift into reverse. Now my speedo is acting up When I hit the gas, it takes about 5-7 seconds for the needle to move up from zero, and even then it moves very erratically and slowly. when I hit the brakes the needle will actually go up about 5mph, stay there for about 10 seconds, then eratically go back down to below the zero mark on the cluster. this is pissing me off, and I really don't need a speeding ticket right now because I don't know how fast i'm going.

Fluid is at normal level (right at the top of the |XXXHOTXXX| pattern on the dipstick. Could this be my VSS, or something else?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pull out VSS and clean, if doesn't work try a different VSS sensor.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Where is the VSS located? I think I read it was located at the end of the bellhousing, but I can't find it.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a problem with the transmission putting an additivie in it will only prolong the inevitable, if it does anything at all.

What is the fluid condition, how many miles are on the unit, and what mods do you have?

Based on the speedo errors I would suggest that you have the unit inspected by a professional. If the output speed sensor has enough debris on it to interfere with its proper operation, there are bigger issues at work here.

Good Luck
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Fluid is transparent red, no metal shavings when I drained out some fluid (I overfilled by a bit) 110k on the tranny, I'm not sure if it was rebuilt (I'm second owner) but the pan bolts weren't very tight so there might have been something done to it. My only mods are a K&N CAI and a DI/DO Magnaflow muffler. I have some electrical contact cleaner, I was looking for the VSS earlier so I could clean off the sensor but I cannot find it.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 PM
FormerVendor

The speed sensor is located at the right side of the extension housing... just in front of the driveshaft. Give it a try, then have someone who is competent put a scanner on it so we can work from a position of strength!

Good Luck!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes it sounds like you have a problem with the VSS or a ground somewhere, I ussually dont suggest additives to the tranmission other than the occasional friction modifier for converter chatter with PWM (lube guard or smart blend) neither have any sealers.
Originally Posted by Crucifixion
My 4L60E slipping a few months ago and just got around to throwing some lucas in there today. Put a few oz of lucas tranny fix in, drove it around for a little bit, shifts smoother but at different points, and now I have a CLUNK when I shift into reverse. Now my speedo is acting up When I hit the gas, it takes about 5-7 seconds for the needle to move up from zero, and even then it moves very erratically and slowly. when I hit the brakes the needle will actually go up about 5mph, stay there for about 10 seconds, then eratically go back down to below the zero mark on the cluster. this is pissing me off, and I really don't need a speeding ticket right now because I don't know how fast i'm going.

Fluid is at normal level (right at the top of the |XXXHOTXXX| pattern on the dipstick. Could this be my VSS, or something else?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 PM
FormerVendor

Let us know if there is any debris on the sensor. Sounds like the fluid is in good shape, but that does not account for the symptoms in the original comments. Speed sensors can and do wrek havoc on shifting, but they don't make 'em slip.

Get a scanner on it and be smarter than what you are fooling with. Thats advice I was given 20 some odd years ago. Information is paramount when diagnosing an electronically controlled transmission!

Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

[QUOTE=Get a scanner on it and be smarter than what you are fooling with. Thats advice I was given 20 some odd years ago. Information is paramount when diagnosing an electronically controlled transmission!

Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Absolutley agreed !

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Let us know if there is any debris on the sensor. Sounds like the fluid is in good shape, but that does not account for the symptoms in the original comments. Speed sensors can and do wrek havoc on shifting, but they don't make 'em slip.

Get a scanner on it and be smarter than what you are fooling with. Thats advice I was given 20 some odd years ago. Information is paramount when diagnosing an electronically controlled transmission!

Good Luck.

excellent advice! I'll take a look tomorrow, take some pics and see what the pros think.. I don't know what the sensor is supposed to look like, but I'm sure I'll be able to tell what's normal and what's not. thanks.

By the way, scanned for codes, nothing.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A speedo sensor may not set any codes generally it has to be open to do that. Irratic reading my be interputed by the computer as trans slipping etc or just confuse it and cause irratic shifting

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM

If some serious work needs to be done to it, my uncle works at a local tranny shop.. maybe I can finally get that B&M Shift Kit (the real deal, not that electric pos)and the Vette servo installed if its going to be out of service anyway.

I know the trans is on its way out, I can take care of that when the inevitable happens, I just want to get this f'n speedo problem fixed. I don't need the extra stress or drain on my wallet if I get a ticket for unknowingly speeding.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Good Luck!

Let us know how that works out for you!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM

I tried to look for the VSS earlier this morning, no luck. I found two sensors on the right and left sides of the extension housing, two wires on the left and one wire on the right. unplugged both (2 prong) sensors and unbolted them with a 3/4 drive socket. They were about 1 inch long black cylinders with a small magnet in the middle. They were both clean, though the one on the right was covered in tranny fluid. Cleaned them both off and replaced them. Still having the same problem. Was one of these a speed sensor, or did I find something else?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:00 PM

This was what I removed and cleaned.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...co/213-347.jpg

ACDELCO Part # 213347 More Info {#12376520}
SENSOR,VEH SPD 4WD; 4 WHEEL DRIVE; w/TRANSFER CASE(NP8); SCREW IN WITH O-RING

Guess I have another problem.. could it be something with the DRAC?

*edit* Guess I should let you guys know that it's in a '99 Suburban K1500.. I know this is a LS1 site (Not that it should make a difference, same transmissions..) but the users on this site seem to be the most knowledgeable out of the ones I've posted on!

Last edited by Crucifixion; 06-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That would be it , Though I think if that didnt fix it I would just replace it , But still really you need to get it on a scanner so you can see what its actually doing and observe other readings too. Probably would be best to have and actual trans shop do that , Trouble with so many of those is they seem to allways wanna rebuild it no matter what. Its hard to find one that wants to actually diag the problem. We have seen it several times where a trans shop insisted that the customer needed a new trans so the customer orders one from us and of course the problems still there and then we have to help them find the issue the trans shop should have looked for to start with.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-24-2007, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

"That would be it , Though I think if that didnt fix it I would just replace it ......." [B]

I disagree... I have never believed in replacing parts just because it was easy to get to, made sense to do it, or had it off anyways. It is a waste of time, money and resources. Period. If you cannot find out through correct and thorough diagnosis techniques what the problem is you are wasting your time. There is something to be said for trying and learning!!! If that's the case here,.... carry on. If it needs to be on the road in service though......

Take the car to someone who can and will diagnose the problem, someone who is a professional, someone who understands electronic overdrives. It is not rocket science and the country is full of Technicians who know what they are doing and will shoot you straight. Now, if you are not comfortable with what you hear, get another opinion.... then ask us what we think. To ask us what we think when you have several symptoms without giving us facts to work with actually puts you at a disadvantaqe when talking to the guy who is going to scan it and disagnose it.... 1st thing you will think about is the opinion of the "experts" here on the internet If we do not agree, then you may not get it fixed right the 1st time, which is what you should be after here.

Just my .02, feel free to call me tomorrow. I will be happy to discuss this repair with you. Also, let us know what the PCM is telling you !!!!!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 4L60E problem,added lucas now strange shifts and speedo bugging