Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front seal keeps going out???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front seal keeps going out???

The first seal lasted about 40 miles. After pulling the tranny I found the seal had pushed out and was just sitting there loose? I put in a second seal which lasted about 3000 miles before the oil started pooring out. I filled the tranny with oil in hopes it would last long enough to drive it up on the trailer, and for that short time while putting it on the trailer it didn't seem to leak Pulled the tranny and the seal was still in place and I couldn't see anything obvious. I looked the converter over and the hub felt smooth. Put in another seal and this one lasted 8 miles before the fluid started pooring out I'm getting ready to pull the tranny again. Is there something internally with the converter or tranny that would be causing this? The tranny acts fine for the short while when it's not dumping oil out. This is a 4L60 in a 91 camaro, stock 305, stock stall speed, and no performance upgrades on the tranny. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You likley have PUMP BUSHING ISSUE but before you pull out again start car and check that the flex plate is not warped as it can cause this too.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I had a similar problem when my new 4l80 was installed. Turns out it was a shim that was supplied with the tranny that shouldnt have been used with a yank conberter.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The O-ring ("turbine shaft seal") on the snout should be
replaced every time you have it apart, but it's an easy
thing to overlook.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Like the other gentleman said the pump bushing being badly worn or having spun in the pump body will cause your issues , But may only be a symptom of a bigger problem such as a converter balance or flexplate issue . It can also be a grounding issue if you have lost or broken ground straps !! You could also have a bad force motor (pressure control solenoid) causing extremly high line pressure but I would recomend re seal and re bush the pump first , make sure the bushing hasn't spun , make sure the pump seal and bushing surfaces are dry and residue free , use red locktite on both the bushing and seal !!!!!!!! John
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the advise, we'll get going on it. Hopefully this will be the last time we have it out
Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Check the flex plate for runout. You will have to remove the front pump when installing a new teflon bushing as it can only be removed one way. Make the new seal has a lot of resistance going in, if not the pump housing could be cracked, and install the retainer ring over the front seal when done. The teflon bushing should go in with some resistance also. I have never seen a teflon bushing spin as opposed to the babbit bushing which were notorious for spinning on the early 700R4's.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I assume you are also installing the seal retainer?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:54 AM
Staging Lane

Check the drain back hole in the pump.
I worked on one where it had not been drilled.

Quick Reply: Front seal keeps going out???