Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Th400

Ok, so im running an automatic turbo 400 tranny at the moment, taking my car to a tranny place in about a week. 3 gears, if im not floored, it shifts at like 5mph to 2nd at like 1250 rpms, and into 3rd at 25 at 1250. If im on the gas, it still shifts really early to 2nd unless im completely smoking the tires. Also, Going around 25ish, shouldnt it kick down to 1st not 2nd if i floor it? lastly, i took off the cover on my console to see how good/bad my shifter was, really sloppy so im pry throwing in a hurst racing shifter.. any comments on all this would be awesome, just looking for a little insight.. i want to get this straightened out and put in a shift kit. I wanna be able to lay rubber a few feet when i hit 2nd.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Is this a transplanted 400 or factory ? If it's a transplant , do you have the detent solenoid hooked up and working properly ? If not that can cause the issues you describe because it plays a major part ithe the control of upshifts and downshifts! As far as " laying rubber " on upshifts the Testicular Fortitude of your engine has more to do with that than your transmission !!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

The detent solenoid is what controls the downshift. You need to check if you have vacume to the modulator valve, which in part controls upshift.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot for the tips guys, Testicular Fortitude = Plenty =] Taking it in to a guy who specializes in transmissions to see what the deal is, also my linkage is a little loose and the stock shifter is really sloppy so im throwing in a hurst ratchet shifter and possibly a shift kit.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No vacuum to the modulator will make it shift very late if at all.
You need to change the governor weights and springs. It needs lighter weights.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The detent solenoid as stated does have and affect on both kickdown and how long the trans holds gears at WOT only. And should be hooked up or you will quick shift at WOT. Some modulators have the ability to be ajusted by a small amount using a set screw located inside where the vaccum line conects to it which case raise the shift points but average 4-6 MPH. I these things dont give you what you want to will need to order a govenor weight and spring kit as mentioned and recalibrate the GOV. You dont mention what stall you have in it but this is a comon issue with TH350 and H400 Transmissions after installing a very high stall converter due to the vaccume created by the higher RPM verse the slow actual speed causing the govenor presure to be very low. Hope this helps a little .
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

You need to check the vacuum at the modulator itself, it should change the characteristics of the idle when disconnected. Make sure that it is at a "true" vacuum source on the intake manifold, and not at the timed port passage, as this will cause the low speed early upshifts.