Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter flashes too low

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter flashes too low

Hey guys, I have had my Yank 3400 in my car for about a month or so now, and I have tried everything but I still have the same problem. On the street with street tires it seems to flash to around 34-3500 (spinning), but on the track it launches at around 3000. What is up with this? I've tried flashing it, stalling it up high, in the middle, you name it. It takes off at 3000 feeling kinda soft. Are there any other things I can try to make it flash higher? It doesn't hit very hard at all. Hopefully someone else has had this problem and can help me out. Thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

the only way you will ever reach full true stall is with a trans brake, this is true with any trans
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes the trans brake is the only true way , However you can get kinda close to seeing actual flash stall by unhooking the harness from the trans , This will place it in third gear then without holding the brake give a quick snap to the throttle whatever the tack jumps to is close to the flash stall of the converter , This has always worked pretty acuratly for me and the odds of being able to spn the tires in 3rd gear are very low .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont make enough torque now that you have traction (at teh track). besides off the footbrake you will never get the converter to come up to rated stall.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think this is a 4L60E based on the OP's sig. But most importantly... I am not sure I would do anything out of the ordinary to try and make it do anything other than what it is capable of doing.

The converter is simply tight for your combination. On the street with the tires spinning the converter is doing nothing different than it is at the track,,, you are making more RPM's because the tires are spinning, make sense? And conversely at the track the engine is actually bogging because it is trying to launch the car below it's power curve because the tires are sticking.

When a company advertizes a converter to produce a given stall speed it is based on some constants or standards. That being said the likelihood of your powertrain being able to replicate those constants is very slim. Converter companies know this and that is why many if not all of the converter companies I know of will restall a converter for you... once installed in your powertrain and you determine where it is stalling you can then determine where you want it to be and convey that to the converter manufacturer in order that they may make the necessary changes.

As previously stated your engine is simply not producing enough energy to enable the converter to reach it's advertized max stall speed. So you have two options.... change the engines energy output or change the converter.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm gonna leave everthing the same for now, because I'm trying to save up for a cam swap.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Yes the trans brake is the only true way , However you can get kinda close to seeing actual flash stall by unhooking the harness from the trans , This will place it in third gear then without holding the brake give a quick snap to the throttle whatever the tack jumps to is close to the flash stall of the converter , This has always worked pretty acuratly for me and the odds of being able to spn the tires in 3rd gear are very low .

Well... I do spin tires in 3rd gear