Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny won't go in gear, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny won't go in gear, ideas?

My truck is a 01' Chevy 1500hd, I dunno if it has the 4l80e or the 4l65e but the shop replaced the motor in it, starts up fine no noises but it won't go into drive or reverse?? The installer swears up and down he got the teeth on the converter lined up perfectly... Any other ideas on this? They said something like they checked one of the lines for pressure and it didn't have any line pressure? Could one of the sensors be unplugged from the swap or what?

Can someone throw out some things to check cause automatic tranny's are a foreign world to me... i dunno what to do and I need my truck =/
Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe they left the driveshaft out...lol

or disconnected the linkage to the tranny...somewhere to start. Make sure the fluid isn't for some reason drained....just guesses at this point.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

No cooler flow means either no fluid, plugged filter, damaged pump.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would hope that they made sure that the trans is full of fluids. However in my 18 years of working in this industry a broken pump is what you are describing to me. Vince
Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hard to think the transmission went out by just replacing the engine, maybe they forgot to hook up the harness to the transmission? Forgot to hook up the linkage? Sounds like something simple, but I think their troubleshooting ought to be on their dime not yours since it was working before.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Launching!

That's true but i'm friends with the guys at the shop, they dunno what's wrong with it and I am in a hurry to get my truck back so i'm trying to figure it out.. Thx guys i'll see what we can find..
Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If no fuild is coming out of the lines and the unit is full of fluid there are only Three posibilites I can think of. Broken pump because converter was not seated, Theres no fluid in it, They changed the filter but didnt put one in but I will make a bet on the pump Theres no electrical condition that will cause no fluild to flow through the lines. I would say they broke the pump.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If no fuild is coming out of the lines and the unit is full of fluid there are only Three posibilites I can think of. Broken pump because converter was not seated, Theres no fluid in it, They changed the filter but didnt put one in but I will make a bet on the pump Theres no electrical condition that will cause no fluild to flow through the lines. I would say they broke the pump.
Is there any possible way the converter could be positioned improperly and cause this or no? How difficult is it to change the pump?