Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be my tranny?? converter??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be my tranny?? converter??

When I put my car is drive and keep in stopped it has a vibration that comes in and out. Gets bad and then not so bad. I noticed it a few days ago and other people have noticed it too so it's not just exhaust vibration or anything like that I don't think. It literally makes my mirrors tremble. And it feels as if its coming from right underneath me. But as soon as I put in neutral or pull off it goes away. When I'm in drive and have my foot on the brake it's idling around 500 rpm just in case you wanted to know. Is this just normal or could I have a problem with the tranny or converter?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In gear and at idle correct?

Has there been any work done to the car recenlty? If so check that work.

F-bodies are notorious for the exhaust to be rubbing the body under the drivers seat.

A sagging engine mount can cause this condition, as could a bad trans mount.

Lots of reasons really.

g
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weld or use tie wire and put a valve spring between the exhaust and the body of the car right under your drivers seat ...fixed my problem of it banging and rattling there
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

The only work that I've had done is the full exhaust. I put everything in myself with no issues. The thing is...I've had the exhaust on for several weeks and haven't had a problem. I know that banging noise you get from the ypipe hitting the floorpan on the driver side cuz my 96 bird was REALLY bad about it. Banged constantly. This car though the ypipe hardly every hits the floorpan.
This vibration I'm getting is a dull sound. It vibrates kinda bad, then not so bad, then really bad. Makes everything inside my car kinda rattle. It feels like it's coming from the transmission. I'm scared to take it to the shop and find out it's gonna be somethign terribly expensive to fix. Is it possible for the converter to be out of balance or something?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

And yes, this vibration happens while in drive when I'm stopped. I put it in neutral and rpms go back up to around 6-700.