Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hoping my 3/4 clutch packs arent going out..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hoping my 3/4 clutch packs arent going out..

The other day i took off down the street WOT from pretty much a stop.. well 1st gear went fine and into 2nd was smooth.. right at the top of 2nd gear it seemed to skip. IT was like it hit the rev limiter once and then shifted. Or maybe the transmission let go going into 3rd. I dont know what that could be so Im hoping someone on here has some answers for me. I have a video but my friend wont be able to get it to me til tomorrow so I will post it up then.

All I know is today it didnt really do it.. now I think this may be due to a difference in temperature because my car was way warmer tonight then it was that time. (i dont know Im not an expert)

hopefully its not the tranny.. im about to go to start college with about $200 and with all these bills i will feel like an all time ******* going to my parents for money..
Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Higher temps can decrease fluid viscosity and slow apply. Not sure how old or how many miles on the trans but based on what your saying and the fact you need it to last for school I would suggest changing he fluild and filter and not being so hard on it for a while.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fluid condition... if it smells burnt there may be damage. But it appears to be intermittant so it may not be a big concern.

Do change the fluid and filter, have it inspected by a professional. That will be the best $$$ you spend on your car this month.

Good Luck.

g
Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

i changed the fluid and filter less then 6000 miles ago and i checked the fluid and it seems fine.. ITs good in color, when i wipe it on a rag it leaves some black along with its nice red color but I cant see anything or smell anything otherwise
Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

heres the video..

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...t=35a5f8ad.flv
Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Listening to the video sounds like it just hit the rev momentarily and if all is clean and it not doing it any more I wouldnt worry about it temp can play a big part in shift time and quaility, I would however if you need the car and dont have the money to upgrade to a built trans right now that you bear that in mind when your running it , "Theres and old saying that hold true speeds money now how fast you wanna go" That was told to me about the 5th time I broke something on my car which was my only car when I was younger and I couldnt afford to fix it , Still took a bit longer to sink in but it did lol

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it delayed into 3rd once it may simply have excessive clearance in the 3/4 clutches. And like Frank stated the shift timing can and will be modified depending on trans temp. By the looks of your sig it appears as though you have a nice ride. But I do not see where the tranny has been built. I am sure it has seen better days. In my opinion it is simply showing the signs of a hard life and old age.

Sometimes we have to do things we just don't want to do. My advice to you would be this... If you do not have the resources for the repairs yourself, discuss it with your folks now so that they can plan the repair. And then take it easy on it until the repair.

Having a plan in place and then executing it makes much more sense than waiting for a major component failure and then scrambling for the fix.

Good Luck

g
Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

yea.. im basically seeing what I got in front of me right now.. the car has 670000 miles right now and its a stock transmission (ive been inside her). Basically i got some money in the bank, some stock (best thing I could have ever done with my savings bonds when i turned 18) and a birthday coming up next month. So as long as I take it easy I should have a good lump of money in a month or two that will only grow since i got a head start and paid the my next two payments on the car already. So i figure I should be alright if she holds up another month.. i think she can because other then what was just shown.. its pretty much flawless.

thanks for the help.. ill probably be contacting one of you guys in the future.