Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble finding flare fitting for TH350 coolant lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Having trouble finding flare fitting for TH350 coolant lines?

When i bought my transmission it came with the nuts on the side of the tranny for the coolant lines. Well im trying to find some flare fitting to keep the fluid from shooting out at WOT bc of the crappy brass fitting i've got in there right now.

I've looked through jegs but i can't find the exact type fitting im needing, also checked around at lowes and couldn't find anything.. I'm not wanting to piece together the right type part bc then it would be more prone to leaking so im just wondering what you guys are using?

If you guys with the TH350s could help me out i would greatly appreciate it
This is whats on there now or atleast this is what it looks like.

By bjamick at 2007-08-03

And its not working

Last edited by bjamick; 08-03-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't buy the fitting, you need to flare the tube with a tool http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294909979

make sure you double flare it... Its an easy procedure provided you take the metal tubes off the car so you can work on a bench. You can get the tool just about anywhere, might even have them at auto zone to rent for free. You do however need the nut/fitting that goes behind the flare. First you slide the nut on then flare the tube.. The tool should have instructions on how to do it, pretty easy.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I do agree with the above statement about using the double flare tool. Make sure that you do just as what was stated above. Also make sure that you use the case fittings (nuts as you called them) that were supplied with the trans. This is the right way to do it. Are you using the fitting that you have in the picture without the case fittings?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't want to tell him they were fittings and confuse him further as to what he needs. He can single flare the tubes since its not that high of pressure like brake lines but i had problems in the past with the flars splitting and then leaking.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok i appreciate the help..

Also Vince ya i just wrapped the threads with teflon tape and then screwed it into the case fitting. But the type fitting i've got will not hold up to the pressure .. I 'll pick up some metal brake line and do the flaring on it and try it out.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:31 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

If you get 5/16 steel line it will come with the correct fitting and also it will be flared on the ends for you. The best way is to try to do this in two pieces if you are still using the radiator. There are two ways to connect the two lines. One is a union that is a screw in style union. This the most solid style that I like to use, the other is a compression style union. This style you simply cut the line where you want to mate it and insert the ends into the union. Then tighten it up and your done. Do not over tighten it and you will be fine. Good luck and happy wrenching!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default you need

A brass 1/8" pipe thread fitting.
Available at almost any aftermarket automotive store.
Any transmission shop will have oodles.
Then get a 5 ' section of 5/16" steel brake line.
It will have the correct male fittings on each end.
Get the line with a steel coil on the exterior.
It can be bent without kinking and the added coil helps prevent rub through.
Here is a pic of what you need.
It is #202X.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6192265

Quick Reply: Having trouble finding flare fitting for TH350 coolant lines?