Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e ??? What year

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e ??? What year

Plan on going to the junkyard tommarow to look for a 4l80e I may get lucky and find one but it will most likely be out of an older truck. Will there be any electric modifications that will need to be done to the tranny. I know the bellhousing is alittle different from the older years but will still work I guess. I searched and it said 97+ is the one to get but I may be able to get an older one cheap and wondering if that will work fine im mainly concerned about the electronics being different then a 02 trans. I noticed on my buddies 95 4l80e on his truck that it has some kind of black eletric box with 2 plugs going into it by the shifter cable lever not sure what that is I would imagine you dont need that for an Fbody?

Last edited by RamAir02TA77; 08-04-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Default 4l80e

The 91/93 units had a different harness connector and it is not the desireable unit . The later the unit the more GM updated it . 97 up units had the lub return in the center of the case and this made cooler line routing a bit different but sonnax made an adapter line that worked good ! The later units had molded clutch pistons and high enegy clutch plates (98 up) and better designed bands , but the price goes up accordingly . The early units can be retrofitted with a lot of the later parts if you can find one cheap enough . !!!! The switch on the side of the late units was a neutral/mlps switch !!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by big wally 55
The 91/93 units had a different harness connector and it is not the desireable unit . The later the unit the more GM updated it . 97 up units had the lub return in the center of the case and this made cooler line routing a bit different but sonnax made an adapter line that worked good ! The later units had molded clutch pistons and high enegy clutch plates (98 up) and better designed bands , but the price goes up accordingly . The early units can be retrofitted with a lot of the later parts if you can find one cheap enough . !!!! The switch on the side of the late units was a neutral/mlps switch !!
Thanks for the reply so do I need that mlps neutral switch or when I get the wiring harness that will take care of it? Ill try and get like 94-95 unit as the earliest tranny but a 94+ unit will work it will just install like the rest wear u just need the converter with the spacer speartech wiring harness crossmember and the dipstick prob a few more odds ends that I didnt add but it will work and are the electronics the same as the 99+? Ill probably just use rubber hose to route the cooler lines anyway. Can you make a 94+ unit as strong as say 2000?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Default 4l80

The switch was used on trucks . The linkage shaft is longer on the one that takes the switch but can be changed . 94 up electronics are all the same and you can upgrade the cluthpacks and bands to later design with the right parts during rebuild . But even the early designed trans is a lot stronger than the 4l60e . I'd recomend the Trango -2 shift kit and the latest solenoids and such . Are you going to have it profesionally built or do it yourself?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by big wally 55
The switch was used on trucks . The linkage shaft is longer on the one that takes the switch but can be changed . 94 up electronics are all the same and you can upgrade the cluthpacks and bands to later design with the right parts during rebuild . But even the early designed trans is a lot stronger than the 4l60e . I'd recomend the Trango -2 shift kit and the latest solenoids and such . Are you going to have it profesionally built or do it yourself?
Ill probably get it professionaly built the shifter linkage I should be able to change myself right not sure if just unbolts or will I have to do something inside the trans with that? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you have the trans built just have the builder change the linkage. It requires that you remove the valve body and I really do not see any point to changing it yourself. He will need to get a complete linkage kit from GM because there were some changes in the rooster cone. Keep in mind with a unit that is not 99^ you will loose the bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position on the bell housing. The early units had some weaker internals but as John stated can be built very close to the later units. Good luck with your search and let me know if you need anything. Vince
Old 08-04-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
When you have the trans built just have the builder change the linkage. It requires that you remove the valve body and I really do not see any point to changing it yourself. He will need to get a complete linkage kit from GM because there were some changes in the rooster cone. Keep in mind with a unit that is not 99^ you will loose the bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position on the bell housing. The early units had some weaker internals but as John stated can be built very close to the later units. Good luck with your search and let me know if you need anything. Vince
Do you think if I got a 4l80e and a shift kit with the shifter linkage and some other small changes it would cost me under 1,000 to rebuild it? Im not really to worried about the 12 o clock bolt as I only have like 5 bolts holding my 4l60e and ppl with the th400 only have like 5 bolts as well. The dowels on the block shouldnt be a problem right?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the dowel pin locations are the same. As far as the price it would depend on who builds it for you and what they use for parts. I use a lot of new parts or like new parts in all of my builds as far as hard parts are concerned. The new parts include the bushings, clutches, steels, solenoids, separator plate, sprags, internal wiring harness and others that are listed on our web page and some that are not listed. It depends on which level that I am building but for a $1000 it would just cover my salary and the parts. If you can get someone to do it for that kind of money then I wish you well. If you have any questions feel free to contact us at the shop this week or shoot me a PM. Vince
Old 08-04-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Well for the upgrades if I get the older unit I will probably just get a shiftkit and the newer upgrades. If I end up buying a newer one 99+ I will probably just beat the stock one till it breaks.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

$1000 is a bit light to get it done right IMO.
You'll want to add a 34 element sprag while you are in there. That's a $50 part. A valve body kit is another $50-100.
These things seem to be rough on the rear band and reaction carrier, so I typically resurface the carrier and replace the band with a new Delco piece. That's a $25-30 part and time to resurface the carrier.
You also want to replace the shift solenoids and likely the EPC while there. Shift solenoids are about $15 each, the EPC is a bit more.
A complete rebuild kit with new bushings, thrust washers, overhaul kit, clutches, filter, front band, etc is a couple of hundred.
Most shops mark up these parts also.
It doesn't really cost anymore to rebuild than a 4L60E, it should need fewer hard parts, and you'll only have to do it once, if you do it right, so spend the money to do it right the first time.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for replies if I get one today I will start looking into a rebuild. The rebuild amount wont have to be exactly 1000 thats just a ball park.

Quick Reply: 4l80e ??? What year