Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Not Shifting Correctly???

Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Not Shifting Correctly???

Alright, so i was told to come in this section and see what anyone in here thinks could be the problem.

Well the problem is, my car doesnt seem to be shifting correctly. At times im driving and i give it the gas, and i see my RPM's going up, but the car isnt going any faster. The 1st time, i thought i may have accidently shifted into Nuetral, but that wasnt it. Then there's time's when im going on tha highway and give it tha gas to get up to 80 mph and the car's just doing the same thing, then out of nowhere the power kicks in.

I recently changed the oil and the fuel filter. I thought the fuel filter may be the problem, but it's still doing after i have a new filter on. So im pretty much thinking its the "Transmission Filter & Oil" needing to be changed. It's a used car, so i dont know when the last time this was changed on the car or if it ever was.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your tranny fluid to see if its full and see if its still redish if it is discolored or smells burnt that is a bad sign. It sounds like its slipping. It might be on the way out. Do you throw any codes when this happens?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing that the car is new to you... does it have a high stall converter?

The 1st thing to do was already suggested... check the fluid fill level and condition. If it is dark and smells burnt the damage is done, changing the fluid and filter will only prolong the inevitable... and may actually cause it to become more and more symptomatic.

Typically a slipping transmission fails rather quickly, within a few hundred miles of driving.

Have it looked at by a professional if it continues. Then get back to us with that diagnosis and we can help you from there.

Good Luck.

g
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, i will have the car checked to see how the fluid is. So pretty much if the fluid smell's burnt and is dark, instead of the redish color. Tha tranny is pretty much going to give out???

Ill have to look into the car, to see if it has the High Stall Converter.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Well ive yet to get it serviced by a professional but i did check the level myself. The oil is still the redish color. I dont know exactly how much oil, it's supposed to have tho. I know it meet's the 1st hole, but should it be easily seen like the motor oil??? Could i just be a lil low on the oil and need to add some maybe.

Would there be any other problems??? My service engine soon light is on.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well deffinatley go get your car scanned to what codes your throwing. The level should be around the HOT mark on the dipstick. You checked with the car running and warmed up right. You should beable to go to auto zone and use their scanner so you could write down the codes and see what they mean.

Search this Thread