Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what type of switch for a transbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what type of switch for a transbrake?

is it a special switch or can you use a momentary or something.
i see the silinoid needs 12v to activate right, how have people hooked it up?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a momentary switch.

Do not use a switch that can be left in the on position as you will roast the solenoid!

12v is correct.

g
Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

cablebandit wired it up so the cruise control on his steering wheel is his switch. I like that one the best.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchy99
cablebandit wired it up so the cruise control on his steering wheel is his switch. I like that one the best.
Yeah, I like that idea! I thought the steering contol buttons was a digital signal or something though?

Right now i use the momentary button on my cheetah shifter. I would rather have both hands on the wheel though so I'm going to figure out something.

Dan
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

so to engage it you just hold it down then once you release it you take off?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Yeah, I like that idea! I thought the steering contol buttons was a digital signal or something though?

Right now i use the momentary button on my cheetah shifter. I would rather have both hands on the wheel though so I'm going to figure out something.

Dan
Yeah, I'm not sure how he did it, maybe a PACSWI X or something like that, or maybe just pop the cruise button off, wire a microswitch behind it or something and put the button back on. I really like the cruise control idea, as it keeps me from running another button somewhere and looks good.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
Yes, that is correct.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
That about sums it up.

One problem guys run into though is they will "sit" on the brake for longer than 3 - 5 seconds. That is a bad thing for the converter. It generates a tremendous amount of heat during in the stall time when it is on the brake!

The idea is to do a burn out, stage the car, wait for the opponent to stage and then engage the brake, bring the RPM's up to the desired level and go!

In turbo applications a different converter is required... basically one that has been "beefed" up for the spool time.

It is not rocket science but some thought must be put into running a trans brake often otherwise you could tear up some equipment in a hurry!

g
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Yeah, I'm not sure how he did it, maybe a PACSWI X or something like that, or maybe just pop the cruise button off, wire a microswitch behind it or something and put the button back on. I really like the cruise control idea, as it keeps me from running another button somewhere and looks good.
I was talking to the guy that makes the two steps for synergy motorsports, and he thinks he can build a box to convert the radio and cruise buttons from (I think) digital to a regular switch. I should have payed more attention, lol.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

a pacswi x would change it to a regular signal... if you didn't mind spending the money on it. I think they run around $49.00.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Cool, good info!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

i cant remember exactly how i did it but i used 2 wires from the cruise control "activate" button in the end of the cruise/blinker stalk. One wire goes to ground and the other to a relay which feeds power to the tbrake. The wires are tiny from the button but they dont carry any real current...just trigger the relay on/off. i think one ws blue and the other grey or pink
Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cablebandit
i cant remember exactly how i did it but i used 2 wires from the cruise control "activate" button in the end of the cruise/blinker stalk. One wire goes to ground and the other to a relay which feeds power to the tbrake. The wires are tiny from the button but they dont carry any real current...just trigger the relay on/off. i think one ws blue and the other grey or pink
I think using the existing column switches is cool as it can be!

We are building a 3rd Gen car with Xtreme H/P next door... I installed an 18 circuit Painless kit and then all of the wiring for the N2O, Line Lock, trans brake and so on....

On the old Saginaw columns there is a cruise controll switch... I used the Cruise on/off for Main N2O control and used the resume switch at the end of the stalk for purge! It is sweet!

Glad to hear of other guys putting those to use.

g
Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
It's been so long since I looked at the cruise control i forgot it was on the column, kept thinking it was on the steering wheel like my truck.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Exactly! If I am not mistaken from the factory that cruise switch toggled the ground. I know it is a low voltage system... like 5 or 8 volts, can't remember.

But I do know the Cruise switch has it's own harness through the column bowls and it is very dainty, may not be the best size harness for the job, but it does fine as it is now. As stated earlier, the key is to let the switch control the ground to the solenoid.

The reason I chose that particular switch is we were leaving the stock column in the car and I wanted to keep the switch panel as clean as possible.

Good Luck with it!

g
Old 08-20-2007, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

i like the stealthness of it. my line lock is in the ashtray like alot of others as i dont smoke
my 2 step was on the traction control button before i got the tbrake