Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission woes

Ok, so the 4L60e in my car (98 Z 28) has been rebuilt 9 times. Yeah, I know. It just will not shift into D or OD now. Basically, I want to exhaust every option before I have this focking thing swapped out. Check engine light has been on since I got the car, except for when Josh checked the tune (go figure). I have been doing a lot of reading and I learned something called Limp mode? An ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I bite the bullet and spend hundreds of dollars on putting in a new transmission.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Eighty7camarokid
Ok, so the 4L60e in my car (98 Z 28) has been rebuilt 9 times. Yeah, I know. It just will not shift into D or OD now. Basically, I want to exhaust every option before I have this focking thing swapped out. Check engine light has been on since I got the car, except for when Josh checked the tune (go figure). I have been doing a lot of reading and I learned something called Limp mode? An ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I bite the bullet and spend hundreds of dollars on putting in a new transmission.
Go with a reputable company and pay out the money for a good 4l60e that someone will stand behind and be done with it. Or th350 or th400. I've learned the hard way. Also don't skimp on the converter.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When you say will not shift into D or OD please give a little more detail ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately need more deatil here.

And tell us about your combination and driving habits as well.

What were the symptoms of the other 9 failed trannies?

Maybe it's time for a new builder, right?

g
Old 08-21-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eighty7camarokid

Wow 9 times!!! What mods do you have? What kind of HP are you pushing? Do you have a tranny cooler and/or high stall converter?

My car was running in limp mode about a month ago and replacing the A & B solenoids seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

P.S. The limp mode symptoms I had with my car was that it would rev very high when taking off from a stop and barely move. I believe this is because it was actually taking off in 3rd with a high stall. aka Limp Mode
Old 08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

I bought the car like this. The PREVIOUS owner had the tranny rebuilt 9 times. When it acts like its gonna shift into 3rd, it acts as a neutral. So I basically have P R N N N 2 1. It is a stock crate z 28 with a catback and a lid.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Multiple failures of the 3-4 which sounds like your issue could be the builder or some other issue with line presure. I would suggest you find a good builder then if the shifts dont feel right work with them to solve the issue. 9 times is alot. And I do not think you have the power to cause the failure based on your description, If you like give me a call and we can discuss it .
Thanks Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I am just gonna buy a cheap used one and hope for the best. Not much I can do with school starting on monday.