Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e slip yoke

Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e slip yoke

Got my trans back from being rebuilt and pulled the tailhousing off. Iam wondering what slip yoke I will need for this trans. Another member posted a picture of the same tailshaft as the one on my 4l80e in the 4l80e swap sticky. I did pm them but incase they dont respond or anything I figured id also make a post. Im still using the stock driveshaft and the writeup says 1330 series and I guess I will need to use the th400 slip yoke. So does anyone know where I can find this type of slip yoke to fit this trans? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that output shaft doesnt take a slip yoke...it takes a bolt on yoke. I would have that output shaft changed myself to a slip yoke shaft. You wont get much engagement with a slip yoke trimmed to fit that shaft
Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cablebandit
that output shaft doesnt take a slip yoke...it takes a bolt on yoke. I would have that output shaft changed myself to a slip yoke shaft. You wont get much engagement with a slip yoke trimmed to fit that shaft
I have heard that they all have threaded ends. I have the bolt on yoke sitting here that came with the trans. Im sure ill figure something out. I dont really want to get the output shaft changed and from what im reading I shouldnt have to. Im sure someone makes a 1330 series yoke to fit this tail shaft. There is maybe one I can get but might have to cut and take off the rubber o ring inside on the tailshaft.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

My slip yoke works just fine with that output shaft. I just ordered the spicer yoke from Summit, and measured where it needed to go. CUt it off and got a u-joint from the Spicer store (local).
Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N4cer
My slip yoke works just fine with that output shaft. I just ordered the spicer yoke from Summit, and measured where it needed to go. CUt it off and got a u-joint from the Spicer store (local).
By any chance do you have the part number? So you just got one that was splined all the way up and cut it to the length of splines on the tailshaft? Did you do anything about that o ring on the tailshaft? And for the u joint you got did you get a different series to fit the stock driveshaft or something?

Last edited by RamAir02TA77; 08-23-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

SY1330 is the one I used. Not sure what o-ring you're talking about. I forget how we measured. I cut it to match the length of the splines. And it still sat my pinion angle way too low, so you should have an adjustable torque arm, or at least adjustable LCAs.
I just took the yoke and driveshaft to the driveline shop and had them get the right u-joint.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

I was talking about the little o ring on the tail shaft right in front of the splines. But ill do what you said and cut it to match the length of the splines. I do have the umi tunnel mounted adjustable torque arm so I can adjust pinion angle. Btw I dont see the spicer yokes listed on summit racing maybe its this part number now RMG-SY1330. It is a 1330 series u joint which is the stock ls1 driveshaft series. So that should be the one I need and ill just cut it to match the length of the splines. I also have the old bolt in yoke that came with the trans and I could always match it to that size.

SY1330 is the one I used. Not sure what o-ring you're talking about. I forget how we measured. I cut it to match the length of the splines. And it still sat my pinion angle way too low, so you should have an adjustable torque arm, or at least adjustable LCAs.
I just took the yoke and driveshaft to the driveline shop and had them get the right u-joint.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Yep that's the part number.
And mine doesn't have that o-ring on it from what I remember. I don't think it serves any purpose in our application.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Yep that's the part number.
And mine doesn't have that o-ring on it from what I remember. I don't think it serves any purpose in our application.
Alright sounds good I guess I can keep the o ring on though? Are you sure they put new u joints on ur stock driveshaft as I heard they are 1330 stock maybe they just changed them so you could have new ones? Btw what is that o ring used for anyway?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

You need a th400 style yoke period. Every th400 output looks like that slip yoke or bolt on.
A real th400 slip yoke does not have splines up to the end, the ID is smooth for a few inches so it slips over the o ring and the shoulder.
There are slip yoke only 4L80E output shafts that have splines up to the rear bearing, with this type you can use a slip yoke with splines up to the end.
With what you have in the picture you need a th400 yoke, get the right one and you won't need to cut it.
Get the wrong one you might cut it to fit but it's not right.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
You need a th400 style yoke period. Every th400 output looks like that slip yoke or bolt on.
A real th400 slip yoke does not have splines up to the end, the ID is smooth for a few inches so it slips over the o ring and the shoulder.
There are slip yoke only 4L80E output shafts that have splines up to the rear bearing, with this type you can use a slip yoke with splines up to the end.
With what you have in the picture you need a th400 yoke, get the right one and you won't need to cut it.
Well I cant seem to find the right one to fit the stock driveshaft which I belive is 1330 series. The guy above me doesnt seem to be having any problems with the one he has and cut. I would like to get the right one but I cant find it. Btw I dont push the yoke over that o ring right? I figure I might try to get this right now so im not in a pinch later.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had guy's do just as what was stated by 8a8mfh. Works just fine. I have built quite a few units using he same shaft that you have. Get the right yoke and you are good to go.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I have had guy's do just as what was stated by 8a8mfh. Works just fine. I have built quite a few units using he same shaft that you have. Get the right yoke and you are good to go.
Well I cant seem to find the right one. If someone could point me in the right direction with a link or something it would be great. I think I need a 1330 series as I heard the stock driveshaft is 1330 series. I would rather do it the right way and just get one that fits right in but I cant find one. Btw do u push the yoke up on the o ring or just stop pushing once its on the splines. I was messing around with the bolt on yoke that came with the trans and it stops at the o ring but with some force it slides on the o ring.

Last edited by RamAir02TA77; 08-23-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah the problem is that the one I ordered IS listed as a TH400 slip yoke. But it was splined to the end. Now explain that.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the problem is that the one I ordered IS listed as a TH400 slip yoke. But it was splined to the end. Now explain that.
Ill probably end up doing what you did but if I can somehow find the right one I will use it but as of now I have had no luck unless someone can point me in the right direction. Im also trying to figure out what series the stock u joints are I read they are 1330 but im just trying to confirm and hopefully someone knows. So u didnt use the oring that was on the tail shaft? U just slid it up onto the splines adjusted ur pinion angle and it worked fine? Ur still using stock driveshaft but you got new u joints put or something right? Do you know the stock series by any chance? Thanks alot N4cer and as of now it looks like ill end up doing it the way you did it I just need to find out the series of the stock u joint. Everyone keeps telling me to get the right one but I cant seem to find it and ive been looking mulitple places so maybe they can point me in the right direction. Thanks for your help so far everyone any info will help trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

Listed wrong. If it was right you wouldn't have had to cut it.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

The right yoke pushes over the o-ring.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Listed wrong.
Do you know where I could find the right one by any chance? Because I cant seem to find it and will probably end up doing it N4cers way which seemed to work for him but I would rather do less work and just get the right one but if worst comes to worst ill just buy the one he bought and cut it. So I push it over the o ring? What does the o ring actually do.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

The o-ring seals the yoke splines, theres a vent hole in the end of this type of yoke.

If you get a yoke with splines up to the end, the o-ring is useless, it will not engage the right amount, or it will engage too far.
I've seen cars with th400's and driveshafts too long break the trans case on a hard launch due to the driveshaft being too long and getting shoved into the trans and bottoming the splines out.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

The o-ring seals the yoke splines, theres a vent hole in the end of this type of yoke.

If you get a yoke with splines up to the end, the o-ring is useless, it will not engage the right amount, or it will engage too far.
I've seen cars with th400's and driveshafts too long break the trans case on a hard launch due to the driveshaft being too long and getting shoved into the trans and bottoming the splines out.
Do you know where I can get the type of slip yoke I need? If I cut a slip yoke to the length of the splines that should work because the right piece is probably short also. Does the stock ls1 driveshaft use 1330 u joints? If I knew where to get the right piece I would but I have had no luck finding it. Do you know anyone who sells it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l80e slip yoke