Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about the stall I have coming...

Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few questions about the stall I have coming...

These should be pretty easy to answer. The first one is just silly. lol. The converter I'm getting is a Yank SS3600.

1. Was anyone else sad about putting their torque converter in because they lost the exhaust sound they liked? I have duals with flowmaster single chambers right now and I love the deep rumble that it has to it below about 2k... I get compliments on it and to me it sounds better than a couple of the mustang guys I know, and all of the LS1 guys... Now with this torque converter I'm going to be sad because as soon as I start to move it is going to jump up above that in the rpms and I won't have that deep rumble driving around... I don't know, maybe it's silly, but I'm going to miss it. lol

2. My second question is; after installing this converter, how badly would I still lose to an M6 car that had the exact same mods as me from a roll? I mean all different speeds too, from like 15 all the way up to 65 or 75 or something. I know it would have been pretty bad before, but how bad will it be after this?

3. Last question. I may want to start doing auto crossing or some other form racing (not drag racing) just for fun. I have no experience in this at all, so my thoughts don't count for much, but would the converter help with that too? I'm just thinking it would be smoother coming off of a corner (no slamming into another gear) and would always be able to get s decent amount of power rather than coming out of a corner that was just right and hitting a dead spot like 35-40 with the stock converter... I don't know, I could be way off. Would it help?

Thanks for you help . I can't wait to get it and install it... Except for my first comment up there . haha
Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

no
no
no

it doesnt affect the sound that bad....and you shouldnt loose to an evenly modded m6 car.....and your not gonna autox a stalled car.....
Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
no
no
no

it doesnt affect the sound that bad....and you shouldnt loose to an evenly modded m6 car.....and your not gonna autox a stalled car.....
pretty much what he said.

let me know how autoXing a stalled car goes......
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaro396
pretty much what he said.

let me know how autoXing a stalled car goes......

Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Hahaha, so I guess I was right... because I was wrong... lol. So anyway, now I'd like to learn a little about why that would be so bad. You already know what I thought about it before this, but I would like to know exactly why a stalled auto would be so horrible for that? I won't be autoxing this car anyway. It would be my other older camaro (still auto, but without a stall...), but I am still curious about why it would be really bad for autox. Maybe I'll get rid of the camaro and try to find an even older corvette or something else if I really want to try autoxing.

But anyway, just cause I'm curious what makes a stalled auto so bad for autox?

Thanks for educating me . haha
Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you want to auto x, buy a civic or a 300zx or something.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Well, to me the corvette would just be something more desirable as a car. More than the civic anyway. I would just be doing it for fun too, not to compete really anyway (even though I know I would be in my head anyway). The 300ZX would be possible, I like those too, but not the civic. I just like the idea of the corvette though. I don't know why. Whatever the car was it would end up being driven around normally on the streets too, so I would have to like it for that too. But I'm still curious about why the stall would be bad.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The looser converters will generate more heat and will kill transmissions. Autocrossing may not be the best idea and will not be as effective as a M6.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Your exhaust note WILL change with the converter. The converter is going to be spinning up the revs quicker and less loaded by the drivetrain. This changes the tone of the exhaust. Plus it will be louder. I liked the sound of my GMMG better with the stock converter.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Mine is actually going to be a bit quieter I think. And a lot less deep unfortunately... It goes through a spot right at about 1700rpm where it gets really noisy, and with the stall it is going to skip right by there even accelerating slowly. If I hold it in gear up through about 2500 or so while still accelerating like I normally do it is a bit quieter than it is at 1700. It has terrible drone right there too. But I do like how deep it is below 2000 while accelerating (where it always is accelerating normally now), and I am going to miss that noise when it is always up at like 2500 or more...

Search this Thread