Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stall question

How does a 4000 stall actually act when you are driving. I have a Fuddle 4000 stall that I just put in after my cam swap and I really am not able to tell how it is going to act. At first, I installed it and started it up filled it up accordingly and tried to back it out and it revved up to about 2500 before moving. I then immediately figured something was wrong and pulled it back into the garage. It was late so I didn't mess with it.

The next day I started it up and checked the fluid and it was fine and then put it into reverse and it moved on its own. I then moved it over to the side and it would move on its own, i took it to probably 2500 to move it a bit.

Now this has confused me a bit. The stall speed is how much it will flash when you are at the line minus a few hundred correct? Is my second experiece what I should expect from a 4000 stall? I have to get it tuned because right now its garbage. I'm waiting until this friday to have it towed to get tuned. Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car will move at idle if you give it time, the loose stall is going to engage a lot
slower than a stock 1800. It's a fluid "slipping", you'll get used to the feel over time.
It reminds me of a half-engaged hydrostatic clutch on a riding lawnmower LOL.
That feeling is really only present at low speeds (parking lots, stop lights, etc ...)
This is more true with higher stall:torque ratios.
As RPMs increase, converter efficiency improves dramatically.

This graphs helps illustrate what I am talking about.

She'll probably flash around 3000-3400 at WOT. (it varies between converter designs).
Hold on tight, it pulled my foot right off the accelrator the first time I launched
with a big stall LOL
Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

yea, it's going to take a little bit to get use to but you have to give it some gas to get it moving a bit and if you have a loud exhaust it will clearly sing for you,LOL! get it tuned,take it to the track,and let us know the results!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the tranny fluid after it's up to operating temperature again. I found after installing my SS3800 and my brother's SS4000 that until the level is up to proper levels it feels a lot looser. I ended up having to warm them up, drive them up and down the driveway a couple times, check and add fluid, and repeat a few times before they tightened up. Don't get me wrong; they are loose. I have 3.23s and 26" tires and I have to keep my RPMs around 2500 to keep up with traffic from stop lights. My car will still creep if I let off the brakes though. I'd think with your 4.11s that it would be pretty tight.

IMHO, check that fluid level several times, after the car is at normal operating temperature, with the shifter in neutral (parking break on of course.) Make sure you are on a level surface. I think it just takes some time for the converter to fill up.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah it seemed alright this time. Before I get it tuned I'm going to have it warmed up and check all my fluids again.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Yeah it seemed alright this time. Before I get it tuned I'm going to have it warmed up and check all my fluids again.
damnit I forgot to check my fluid level again!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

I just had to say it, you know how some people are on here