Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E post-install followup...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80E post-install followup...

So I thought I'd post a post-install follow-up to my 4L80E swap...

It's been in about three weeks now and it's GREAT. I love it, I'd swap again in a second. It's holding WOT no problem, feels like a tank. It can push my 3800# car with ~600rwtq down the road no problem all day long, and will take the ~700rwtq I plan to make when I start spraying it.

The only drivability downsides (which are minor but should be considered by other people doing this swap who these things may irritate) :
- there is a slight power loss going 4L60E->4L80E. I don't know how much yet as I haven't gotten the car back on the dyno.
- there is that slight 1st gear truck transmission whine as you leave a stop, it sounds like a school bus haha. I'm already used to it and I actually kind of like it.
- I have a slight vibration over 55mph that wasn't there before, which we think is related to the pinion angle and possibly different crossmember/mount (pinion angle was the same before with the 4L60E setup, -2 degrees). I also used the stock driveshaft with a different yoke (will try to post the P/N# later).

For the '80 swap I went with a Edge Racing 3200 stall converter. They set it up to bolt up to the LS1 flywheel bolt pattern. So far I really like it and it's holding up great.

I used the Speedtech wiring harness, HPT tune with '80 tables (MAF enhanced 1 BAR), and a Lokar flexible dipstick.

Here are some pics :

4L80E

Edge racing converter and flywheel

tailshaft, yoke and driveshaft

Lokar flexible dipstick

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Good to hear your happy with it so far. Now I need to get mine and hit it with a big shot haha hopefully the 4l80e makes the 2-3 shift.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

I also noticed the truck whine in first and agree it sounds cool after you get used to it.

One question though, what are the specs on the fittings you used for the cooler lines? I have the older type 4L80e with the fittings close to the front/top and its impossible to bend lines like I must to get them not to rub in the tunnel. Having those fittings and lines would save me from blowing lines all the time. Thanks.

Mine is holding great for being a $100 tranny.

-Dustin-