Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who did their own stall installation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who did their own stall installation?

So who heres done there own stall/shift kit installations? Do you recommend doing it on your own or taking it somewhere? I'm a little hesitant of doing it on my own- but if i could get someone whos done it before to kinda guide me along i wouldn't have a problem with it. What did you guys do?

Also- how much was installation if you paid to have it done
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

I do it myself. I tell everyone else to take it to me and pay me. LOL If you have to ask yourself if you should be doing it you probaly shouldnt.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
I do it myself. I tell everyone else to take it to me and pay me. LOL If you have to ask yourself if you should be doing it you probaly shouldnt.
Unfortunatly this has never stopped before. I ask myself everyday if i should be doing this or that, most of the time the answer is no, but i do it anyways. should i be speeding? no. should i be running my car w/ no cats? prob. not etc... I'm just wandering if anyone with some mechanical knowledge and the help from people on this board could get it done without messing something up.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Find the writeup on it that is located on this forum,... have it as a guide while you do it yourself. Exactly what I did and got mine done just fine. Or you can bring it to me and Jordan and we'll get it taken care of ya for 400.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

I just did mine with the help of a friend and a trans jack. It was challenging but not too bad haha. The hardest parts were getting the damn allen headed flexplate bolts off, and getting the trans back in. We rounded the first two bolts and then just torched the last one up till it came out easy. Then went back and dremeled/chiseled the other two out. Probably not the most correct method, but it worked. Make sure you get the converter in all the way as well. When you think you've got it in, spin it and push it some more just to make sure. This write-up helped a lot with the overall process...

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^That's a good writeup, I used it for my install. I had never dropped an automatic before (always had manual trans) and everything went pretty smoothly. Having the right tools is the big thing for this project. Otherwise you'll be doing lots of swearing......
Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

if you are hesitant, dont hesitate to take it to someone to have done
Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
Find the writeup on it that is located on this forum,... have it as a guide while you do it yourself. Exactly what I did and got mine done just fine. Or you can bring it to me and Jordan and we'll get it taken care of ya for 400. and have it back to ya in a day

You and your ******* guides LOL
Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

The hell with havin it done in a day,.......take it to us and we'll have it done in a few hours. Go eat lunch somewhere fancy with your girlfriend, screw around in the mall, and come back to a stalled auto.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

i did mine - wasn't too bad. swapping the car from a 6spd to an auto was the hard part. lol.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

I did mine myself. Make sure you have all of the right tools you need first. If you don't then i wouldn't bother even trying. If you know you have all of the right tools and some patience then find the write up about it on here and you should be fine.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did both my stall and the shift kit. I took my time with the shift kit as I did it about a month before the stall with the trans in the car. Doing the converter swap is really not that hard. The two challenging parts are removing the TC bolts from the flywheel and getting the dowel pins to release the trans from the motor. I say do it yourself but make sure you have the money to get it fixed if you screw up. My biggest fear with the stall was screwing up the seal and having to pull the trans out again. Luckily no leaks so I am good.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

If you have an doubt at all, take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Like Chop Shop said, the torque converter install is a pretty much just a remove and replace thing. The shift kit is more difficult because if you mess up and drill the wrong hole, your pretty much screwed. I thought getting the snap ring in the pump was the biggest bitch cause I had no snap ring pliers!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy of mine installed my stall with a few help of others including me.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

bene im thinkin of goin the route your on, we'll see. I plan on doing several things all at once so it'll prob. be a while before i actually finance and do it. I'm just getting an idea on what my lil budget build is going to cost me.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Plan on a lot of extra expenses. That's how mine was at least. I made several trips to autozone and sears for tools, parts and just stuff in general. Maybe ~$200 extra. That may not be a big deal to some but when you're working on a tighter budget those things can add up.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

ive never seen so many people tell someone to pay somebody else to do work on their car. a tranny pull and stall install is very simple. especially if you have 1 buddy that can help ya. i did mine basically by myself and it didnt take but a few hours. i had a buddy help me get it on the jack and put it back on the dowel pins. other then that it was me me me and like i said didnt take more then 3 hrs on my back under the car.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

If you have mechanical know how and would rather gain some new tools and experience than pay some other douche bag to work on your car, then just do it yourself. Just make sure you get the verter on fully. Apparently alot of folks don't get it all the way on and it trashes their pump. An extra hand does help some. There is a good write up some where, do a search. I read it before I did my stall. At the moment I have a big hole under my car waiting to be plugged with a new transmission, but that's not related to my stall install.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think when i do finally get around to installing one i'll give it a try with some friends, i have access to a lift so that should make it at least a little more conveniant.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had never done one before, and i did my own, a lift makes life a whole lot easier... Just go slow, make sure your careful trying to get the stock torque converter bolts out. Careful getting the hardlines out of the the tranny and be careful lowering at as there are lots of wires on top. If you get all the bolts out and the tranny doesn't seem to want to move, its probably just hung up on the dowel pins, pb blaster them and let it sit for a second and go at it again. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Who did their own stall installation?