Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picking up my first th350 tranny.. questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default picking up my first th350 tranny.. questions

so I found a WORKING th350 tranny local here in az for 50 bucks. . . I figure I don't care if it works or not I'm going to have to have it built for spray so it's worth picking up either way.

But I've never owned a th350 before, or any other th based transmission. I've had a few AODs, and LS1 specifically a couple 4l80e's. How much do you guys figure I'll spend to build it to handle around 650hp? Since i'm buying the trans so cheap I don't mind spending the money to have it built right just trying to get a ballpark.

Who makes the best converter for nitrous (i know probably too general a question). I'm planning on spraying about 200hp worth of spray on the stock motor, exhaust, 17" drag radials and racing primarily on the street with some track duty. . . but this car will be a daily driver so I don't want some huge 5500rpm stall. It will be used with the stock camshaft as well for the time being, but the car might end up being either an f1r car or a twin turbo car in a year or two so I don't want to have to pull the tranny, just change the converter. I don't think I'll make more than 650-700 with this car ever unless I go with an f1r (but if that's the case I'll be swapping to a 4l80e/th400 anyways so I'm not too concerned with it).

Should I try to salvage any parts or just use the core for a complete rebuild?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm just trying to get some general info on a trans I know very little about.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:05 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 350 can be built to take some good hp. I would recommend getting a good input drum with a billet input shaft. Also replace the direct drum with a sprag style drum. There are a couple of other tricks to change to the internals of that unit as well. We offer a reverse pattern trans brake for that unit with a pro tree brake. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on having us rebuild it. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 10-14-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The 350 can be built to take some good hp. I would recommend getting a good input drum with a billet input drum. Aslo replace the direct drum with a sprag style drum. There are a couple of other tricks to make to the internals of that unit as well. We offer a reverse pattern trans brake for that unit with a pro tree brake. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on having us rebuild it. Vince
I don't see anything on your site about any of the th trannies... I'll give you a call when I can early in the week. Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good and feel free to ask for Chuck or myself. Vince