Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone's stock 4l60e eat fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default does anyone's stock 4l60e eat fluid?

or burn it off? to cap off a perfectly shitty day, starting with staying up till 2am to watch my red sox lose embarrassingly, i find one the ride home my car wont shift out of 2nd gear and obviously wont lock up. so i go home check the trans fluid oil isnt even registering on the dipstick. son of a bitch. so i put about 1/3 of a quart in and it registers right between the dots, sweet. take it back out and it shifts through all the gears and locks up just nice. so now im thinking where in the **** is this thing leaking from. check the factory cooler input (i did not bypass the factory cooler) bone dry. checked the after market cooler lines. same. so now im wondering if 4l60e's with big stalls or any eat or burn tranny fluid? any have any insight? im going to recheck all the lines in the am, and see if theres a puddle anywhere (maybe a really slow leak?). any one else have an issue similar to this?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
or burn it off? to cap off a perfectly shitty day, starting with staying up till 2am to watch my red sox lose embarrassingly, i find one the ride home my car wont shift out of 2nd gear and obviously wont lock up. so i go home check the trans fluid oil isnt even registering on the dipstick. son of a bitch. so i put about 1/3 of a quart in and it registers right between the dots, sweet. take it back out and it shifts through all the gears and locks up just nice. so now im thinking where in the **** is this thing leaking from. check the factory cooler input (i did not bypass the factory cooler) bone dry. checked the after market cooler lines. same. so now im wondering if 4l60e's with big stalls or any eat or burn tranny fluid? any have any insight? im going to recheck all the lines in the am, and see if theres a puddle anywhere (maybe a really slow leak?). any one else have an issue similar to this?
I have similiar issues with a big stall? I was driving home tonight and out of nowhere the lock-up feature would not engage!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If lockup stops after a drive and the fluid is not low I would suspect engine missfire. However in the case of missing fluid its has to be leaking somewhere, The only other way I have seen them loose fluid is with the vac mod and a bad diaphram in the modulator. But since you have a stock 60e this cannot be the case

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-14-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If lockup stops after a drive and the fluid is not low I would suspect engine missfire. However in the case of missing fluid its has to be leaking somewhere, The only other way I have seen them loose fluid is with the vac mod and a bad diaphram in the modulator. But since you have a stock 60e this cannot be the case
I will check the fluid in the morning, I have kept an eye for leaks since I had the stall installed and not once have i ever seen a hint of leakage? but when I check the fluids I have to drive it first and then check it while the motor is still on correct? or what type of engine missfire are you speaking of?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its a missfire like a miss it can be very slight and may not set a code but the PCM will disable lockup. You can go into tuning and raise the threshold in most cases to eliminate the problem its most prevalent in cars with large cams.
As for checking fluild car should be warm and running in park level should be at top of the crosshatch

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-14-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its a missfire like a miss it can be very slight and may not set a code but the PCM will disable lockup. You can go into tuning and raise the threshold in most cases to eliminate the problem its most prevalent in cars with large cams.
As for checking fluild car should be warm and running in park level should be at top of the crosshatch
thanks for your help I will let you know what I found out tomorrow night(if your online)
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are still using the factotry cooler, meaning the one in the radiator, Take the fill cap off and look for signs of trans oil. If it looks like a strawbarrie milk shake, you have found your leak. Vince
Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
If you are still using the factotry cooler, meaning the one in the radiator, Take the fill cap off and look for signs of trans oil. If it looks like a strawbarrie milk shake, you have found your leak. Vince
I have a Hayden mobile home tranny cooler on it?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Did you bypass the radiator?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually in the OP he says he didnt so good call, Didnt think of that, Hopefully its not that though might be time for a trans soon if its that since it tends to travel both ways PEPTO BISMOIL yuk I have seen a few of those. We actually had a guy return one to us like that after he had allready gotten a replacement trans( the reason we no longer do that) Odd he talked to me alot before we sent the trans but couldnt be reached after we got the first one back
Did you bypass the radiator?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

just looks like normal dex to me. should i double check it when its idling or when its off?

also, i double checked the connections at the cooler. a little dirty, but we used thread locker to seal them up good and at the factory locations, those are bone dry. it was a little damp at the bottom of the bellhousing, but didnt smell like tranny fluid. also around the inspection cover it was the same. im going to drive it today and see if its the same tomorrow.

on a side note, can the place where the bellhousing connects to the block, can that area leak? it seems well lined up, but looks arent always the best.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just looks like normal dex to me. should i double check it when its idling or when its off?

also, i double checked the connections at the cooler. a little dirty, but we used thread locker to seal them up good and at the factory locations, those are bone dry. it was a little damp at the bottom of the bellhousing, but didnt smell like tranny fluid. also around the inspection cover it was the same. im going to drive it today and see if its the same tomorrow.

on a side note, can the place where the bellhousing connects to the block, can that area leak? it seems well lined up, but looks arent always the best.

FWIW... an automatic transmission cannot... will not consume transmission fluid. It can only leak it out.

If there are signs of leakage from the bellhousing area it can only be from the pump or the converter itself. Or a cracked case of course.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I guess what I meant to say is look in the radiator and see if there are signs of trans fluid in there. As far as the oil by the bell not to repeat what G said but he is right here. I would also like to add that I have seen pan gaskets leak and the oil will work it's way to the bell area. This will make it look as if it is coming out of the front of the trans but it is not. Sorry G if I sound like another guy around here!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

I guess what I meant to say is look in the radiator and see if there are signs of trans fluid in there. As far as the oil by the bell not to repeat what G said but he is right here. I would also like to add that I have seen pan gaskets leak and the oil will work it's way to the bell area. This will make it look as if it is coming out of the front of the trans but it is not. Sorry G if I sound like another guy around here!
Ha Ha... thanks Vince. I appreciate your concern. Yer aiiight in my book.

The important thing here is that we get the correct info to these guys! That's why we do what we do!

g
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

i appreciate all of the help, im going to look it over tomorrow and take a real close look at the pan. i just dont know where its coming from. theres no leaks anywhere and no puddles after sitting for a couple days. can the fluid come out of the inspection cover?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 PM
FormerVendor

If the leak is anywhere inside the bellhousing it will "hunt" the inspection cover, therefore it will leak from the inspection cover.

g