Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't shift out of second @wot

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't shift out of second @wot

i finally had a chance to run the new car and i was pretty pleased with the results (best of 12.75 @108) but i know the car has more in it. the prblem is that @ wot the car will not shift out of second gear without banging off the limiter about 4-6 times. what signal does the trans use to shift at wide open should i be looking in the trans or the tune. regular driving the car is fine. my mods are listed in my sig.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:50 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you had your car tuned for the stall? That is the first place to look. If it can not be corrected with the tune you might be having an issue in the 3-4 clutch circuit. Look at what the data for the trans is doing when this happens. Are the shifts being commanded and when in relation to when it hits the limiter. This might help the tuner with what adjustments to make. Vince
Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

yes i have had the car tuned about 3 times by the same tuner. between the drivablilty issues and other little things he said not to bring the car back to him anymore (real stand up guy) any way how to i see if the command is happening i have hp tuners and i tried to record the runs with the hand held but i don't know if it did record or how to retrieve it if it did.
the hp came with the car when i bought it and i don't relly know much about it yet
Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not really sure about how to look at that on and HP Tuner, However I am sure it you give hp a call they will be glad to help. Sux on your tuner though guess he dosent like a challenge! If however you can find it you can try lowering the 2ND gear shift and MPH tables as vince mentioed he probably dosent have it set up right for the stall yet. Good luck and holler if you need anything.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this site. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/index.php Good info over there and might help you learn a thing or two about how your software works.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys huge help
time to start learning hehe
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Launching!

hey I don't know that much about trannys but when my car bounced off the rev-limiter in 2nd gear at wot and shifted fine when driving normally it was the 3-4 clutches that went it is only a matter of time before they go now anyway you pretty much have the same setup i have less a cam and that was my story, only it was against an m3
Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In our experience, it was not long after the 2/3 upshift on the rev limiter that the 3/4 clutches failed outright. We have seen that many times. The software tuning will help alot, but I too believe that it is only a matter of time that the 3/4 clutches will fail.

Have you looked at the fluid condition? It may or may not be discolored and may or may not have a burnt smell. Keep a close eye on the fluid and don't let it hit the rev limiter many times at all until you can get a grip on the tune.

Good Luck.

g
Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the advice. i know the fluid is good i just had the trans apart chasing down some torque converter issues after my first tune. turned out that the tuner had some things screwed up that he fixed the last time i was in. i didn't know about the 3/4 clutch thing though. i will be making some changes in the tune this weekend (if it dries up outside) but from reading this and doing some other checking i might have to put my head and intake money into a trans this winter. i know that i will need one anyway shortly after the head and intake install so i may as well take care of it sooner rather than later.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like a plan to me!

Good Luck with it.

g
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Sounds like a plan to me!

Good Luck with it.

g
of course it does to you lol.

this has been an ongoing issue for me as well, and i just think its funny that it will shift near perfect at slightly less than full throttle at around 5200-5400 rpm, but at WOT it will just bang the limiter, and thats only a couple RPMs further up. i swear its a tuning issue, but i'm no tuner so i dont know what to think.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I have had some luck with this and its contradictory to what most say, Try lowering the line presure a little wont say it will work but have had several people do it both PB customers and non with some success. Particulary if like you say just off WOT IT works.
Originally Posted by spy2520
of course it does to you lol.

this has been an ongoing issue for me as well, and i just think its funny that it will shift near perfect at slightly less than full throttle at around 5200-5400 rpm, but at WOT it will just bang the limiter, and thats only a couple RPMs further up. i swear its a tuning issue, but i'm no tuner so i dont know what to think.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 10-19-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

well i got my tune uploaded into hp tuners and i found out that my awsome tuner left the stock gear size. so i changed it and uploaded. so far i have man an exressway run and it seems to be shifting fine now. i haven't had a chnce to run thru the gears from a dig yet but i think that fixed it. thanks again guys for all your help.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Most excellent!

I apologize. I was under the impression that info had been looked at already. My bad. I won't take that liberty in the future. Stay in topuch and let us know how it does for you!

g