Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter install question/problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter install question/problem...

I was planning on putting my new yank SS3600 in this weekend, but I just thought of something that may cause a problem. The install guide I read say to take your exhaust off, but mine won't completely come off. I have some custom duals on mine that are one piece all the way out the back. It's one pipe over each side of the rear axle too. They are bolted to the headers, so getting them off there won't be a problem, and I can take them off the hangers so that they lay on the ground/rear axle, but will that be down far enough? I don't want to take the tranny all the way off just to find out that it wont come down far enough to fit the converter in... What do you think? Is this going to cause problems? If it is, can you think of any solutions?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Unless I skimmed right over it, you didn't mention if you have long tube headers or mid-length. If you have long tubes then it shouldn't be a problem. The widest part of the tranny is the bell housing where it mates with the engine block. I have long tubes with a one piece Y-pipe like yours. It's wide enough and plus you can move the Y-pipe from side to side a little bit if you need to wriggle it past your tranny.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

They are longtubes. Sorry i didn't mention that. Pacesetters. Mine is actually custom duals, so I'm not sure if they would be the exact same dimensions, but they should at least be close. So you don't think it will be a problem then?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By dropping the pipes at the headers and removing the hangers you should gain enough clearance to get the unit out, or back far enough to do the converter swap. Only thing is though, you must be absolutely certain without a doubt that the converter is installed onto the transmission correctly. If not you will cause irreparable damage to the transmission pump.

Take a very good look at the depth at which the current converter is sitting in relation to the bell housing flange before removing it, that will let you know if it has seated into the pump properly when you go in with the replacement unit

g
Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks for the advice. I am a little nervous about doing this one since there is a lot of money at stake if I screw up. Not like my headers or my intake or anything.... I'll keep that in mind though when I'm doing that. I'm usually pretty slow and very careful doing these things, so hopefully it will turn out alright... I'm having a friend come help out too so hopefully that will make things a bit easier too.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

I also have Pacesetter long tubes and a ORY. I have dropped my transmission twice in the past two months and didn't remove any of my exhaust. The first time I did it in a shop with a lift and tranny jack, the second time was in my drive way with a floor jack. Either way, the exhaust was not an issue.