Sponsored by:

4th gear flare need help from the pros

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM
B4C
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th gear flare need help from the pros

The car is a 99 b4c with 160000 miles,with stock converter the problem is that in 4th gear with the converter locked if i let off the throttle sometimes it will flare. If i shift it into 3rd and back to 4th it is fine for a while. It dosnt seen to matter the speed or rpm i have noticed at 40mph to 75mph. i rebuilt the trans about 40000 miles ago i put the raybestos z-pac in it as well as a superior shift kit and a performance 2-4 band and a superior super server for 4th. Since i noticed the problem i pulled the pan and found a little bit of stuff on the magnet what i would think to be normal. I then replaced the a and b solonoids and the pressure control regulator (cant remember the name for it). when i had the valve body off i found that the small metal plate behind the v/b(dont know its name either) was lose and figured that was the problem. I aslo noticed that the tcc solonid wires had some broke insulation which i replaced last overhaul(a helping friend didnt know about this thing that stuck in the pump and couldnt figure why the pump wouldnt come out) so i put some heat shrink on the wires. same problem it dosent seem to happen at any certain mileage. I guess the next thing is drive it with a pressure gauge and see if the flare is associated with a reduction in line pressure, or maybe i have a torn v/b gasket. i was so certain i found the fix that i didnt look at the gaskets as close as i should have.has any one see a spacer plate give problems. any ideas
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you may actually have a lockup problem

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM
B4C
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else have any more ideas