Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new converter, have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing new converter, have a couple questions.

I am in the process of installing a yank SS3600, but I have a couple questions.

First off, what size Torx wrench exactly are the bolts on the flywheel that connect the converter? The guide that I was reading didn't say anything about those bolts and sizes in the list of tools to buy, so I didn't get them.

I'm pretty sure that the first bolt that I tried getting out is starting to strip, so if it completely strips any idea how I can get it out?

Another thing is, can I replace those bolts with another normal hex shaped type bolt so I could just use a normal socket to get the out? I hate the Torx type bolts and I've stripped almost every one I've taken out, even if I have the exactly right size wrench. Are there bolts that I can replace them with and it will be ok? If so, what would they be?

Thanks for the help. So far this has been an adventure.... haha
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

They aren't torx bits, they are inverted hex.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Use a 15mm socket and rachet to get them out. Much easier.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I belive they are an 8mm or 10mm hex. I would be surprised if Yank did not supply new bolts with their new converter.

g
Old 10-21-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks for the help guys. That was dumb... I didn't even look closely when I tried seeing what it was. Almost stripped one of the bolts because of it too.... Anyway, lesson learned. I got the tranny off, the converter out, and the new converter in, and now I have a new question.

We put the original bolts back in, and they got really tight, but the converter will still rotate a tiny bit, so you can hear it click back and forth in the slots for the bolts, meaning they have bottomed out the threads, but aren't squeezing the flywheel between the bolt and the converter at all yet.. It is loose enough that you can just do that with your fingers. Now, yank did have bolts in the holes for the bolts on the converter in the box, but they are completely different, and before I go use them i want to make sure thats what they were actually there for. They are only about half the length of the other bolts (maybe 1/2" of threads instead of 1" on the stock ones). Also, the head of it is just a normal hex type wrench head, and the ones that were on there stock were the inverted hex head, or allen wrench, like you guys said. Is that what they were there for in the box? I just really don't want to screw up anything and blow up my car... lol

If yank is around here to tell me directly that would be great too
Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the new converter came with new bolts use them. That would be why they supply them.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks. I know... I'm just overly worried about stuff all the time. So far I haven't messsed anything up because of it though... Thanks again. I'm almost done putting everything back on now.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, one more question.... I was just reading the thing on Yank's site about installing it and saw something I thought I would ask about. I didn't put any "high temperature grease on the crank pilot" because the guide I was reading never said to (http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall), but after reading Yank's little install page it says to do that. Is it going to cause a problem because I didn't do that, or will it be ok?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody know about this?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

About the only reason I can think of to put any lubricant on the converter pilot is if it is a snug fit going in... the goal of the lubricant would be to keep the converter from binding when the flexplate flexed. I can't remember ever running into that problem personally.

g
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, sounds good. Thanks. That means I don't have to undo everything and take the tranny back down just to put some grease on it.... haha
Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Run it !

g
Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Oh I will be in the next couple days....

In a couple weeks my car club is going to be having a dyno day, and I'm wondering something. How do you get the converter to lock up on the dyno? Is it something simple or is it more complicated like plugging something into the computer and making it lock up that way? I would really like to get numbers with it locked up so they don't look lower than they should....
Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

A skilled tuner can lock the converter during a dyno pull ... depending on what software he is using. Most can.

g
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, well depending on what he actually has to do my guess is he won't be able to lock it up then... Our whole club is going, and I believe we're each getting 3 pulls, so even if he could do it I don't know that he would because of time. It's a mustang place too, so if it has to do with the computer then he might not know how to do it either. Oh well.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Oh well... no harm in asking him I suppose.

Get back to us with the numbers!

g
Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

I will . Thanks for all the help with this stuff. I'm new to all this stuff and I really don't want to screw anything up... I'm in college so messing anything up with the tranny would probably mean at LEAST months without the car.... I couldn't do that O_O
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a heads up with locking the converter on the dyno under full throttle. I have seen them go south when doing this. Most tuners will either not recommend it or will only do it if the customer requests it. If you are running a multi disc you should be fine. Vince
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Oh ok, so they don't lock it up just cruising and then go WOT, they actually lock it up at WOT? I don't think I would want to risk that just to get some higher numbers...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Oh ok, so they don't lock it up just cruising and then go WOT, they actually lock it up at WOT? I don't think I would want to risk that just to get some higher numbers...
Sorry, for not covering this earlier. It simply escaped my me to bring it up. Vince is correct, chassis dynos can be hard on trannies and converters.

A tuner will ordinarilly get it into 3rd and then manually lock the converter clutch, the go to WOT. The important point is, there are very few converter clutches that are designed to take that type of punishment. If that converter clutch slips even a little at WOT it could fail immediately!

Remember, dynos are simply a tool. What you learn from them is invaluable. They can turn days and days of track tuning into a few hours of work. I have spent many hours at Xtreme H/P watching and helping tune different combinations over the last couple of years. If you make a pull unlocked it will provide real world numbers you can use to build on for the future.

g