Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Nova

Hey guys, I know this is not really the correct place for this... slam me and move it if you need to. But this post is in response to all of the questions we field from members here about our racing efforts on a weekly basis. We get asked by members here very often if we race a car ourselves, if we get to the track much, if we know much about racing and so on. They are valid questions to us. In fact we think it is paramount that we race, it is about being in the know, about staying on the cutting edge of technology and having fun like the next guy! Those are some of the things that make ACE Racing Transmissions who and what we are today and so I thought I would share some details about the car we run. Some of you know the car, some of you don't.

It is a 1970 Ultimate Pro Street Nova, as the owner calls it. It was conceived and built to be a grudge match car. I was asked to Crew Chief the car by the owner last year prior to it's completion. He already had all of the powertrain components, it was a matter of final assembly and testing when I got involved.

The engine was built by Ohio Crankshaft. 665 cid (1150 FWHP N/A), Merlin Tall deck block, Pro Filer 12* heads, Pro Filer Cast Dual Ram intake, 2 1150 Holley Dominators. The transmission is an ATI SuperGlide III, 8" 4800 rpm ATI TreeMaster converter. The rear axle is a Chassisworks Fab9 sheetmetal housing, Mosier billet aluminum carrier w/ 4.30 gears. Toyo 33/16/15 rear meats! The chassis is certified to 25.5, it is basically a KOTH car that could be campaigned in Sportsman classes.

We got it running in early May and have spent the balance of the year dialing it in N/A. We changed the tire size one time and moved the I/C around into several places learning how the car would react to different track conditions, logging each pass. We put about 20 laps on it this year since we took it out the 1st time. We have never concerned ourselves with e.t. nor mph. as this year was a long learning curve for all of us. We put it in a couple of races, here and there, and learned alot about the car and the team. They were very calculted entries, with zero expectations of performance. We were satisifed with our experience and what we learned has already been transfered into better e.t.'s. As it sits right now, it is a very low 6.xx to high 5.xx car N/A, 1/8 mile. And it has more left in it as we only made a handful of full passes at different tracks.

As I type this, the car is at the paint shop having the correct rt. 1/4 panel installed and fresh paint and all of the window sashes and detail trim installed. The color scheme will remain the same. After that we will begin the layering of subsystems. It will get a traction control system, an entirely new ignition system, a Speedtech Otzal Internal Plenum N2O system (600+shot) and a few other goodies!

When the changes are completed we will take it back out for new rounds of testing. And then it's on!

It's a low budget operation, but we have a blast when we run it! I'll add more pics as they become available.

Thanks for all of your support and here's to a fun winter of planning and building some mean machines for next year!

g
Attached Thumbnails The Nova-img_2297-1-.sized.jpg  

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 11-14-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car was in St. Louis about 2ish months ago wasn't it?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow that looks like my old nova,how long ago did he buy it & from what state?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
FormerVendor

Yep, he took it to St.Louis for a race earlier this year.

And I am not sure, but I'll ask him... I was thinking it is a local car. Do you recognize the rt. 1/4 panel? He bought it with that one on it.. just as it sits.

I can tell you the engine just made a trip to Indiana a couple of months ago though! Had a problem in a lifter bore that we had Steve Schmidt take care of. Good to go now.

g
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What tranny are you running?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Well I just love the car. OMFG!!!! The term "low budget" went way out the window immediately.lol.

I assume it's an LS1 powerplant/driveline. If o , that's our dream ride

Damn cool project guys. Please keep us updated. Let us know when you're coming down to H-Town
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

too bad you didnt get a chance to build its transmission. very cool car
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
The transmission is an ATI SuperGlide III
Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
What tranny are you running?
I looks like he has a built powerglide. 2 speed automatic.

Max HP
3,000 HP

Specs
• Custom 1.80 Vasco Gear Set with custom Sun Gear for 1.1875 Input Shaft
• Custom Output Sun Gear Bushing
• Precision-balanced 4340 Carrier with 4340 Output (TH400 diameter) Custom Clutch Hub
• ATI SuperCase and Tailhousing
• Exclusive Input Shaft with full 1.1875” Diam.
• Custom Super Pump for 1.1875 Input
• Compu-Flow Safety Reverse Transbrake
• Custom 10 Clutch Drum
• Kevlar Band
• Billet Twin Seal Servo
• Billet Servo Cover
• Deep Aluminum Pan
• High Performance Gaskets and Seals
• Hard Chrome Rings
• Multi Lever
• Roller Governor Support
• 100% New Transmission
• 100% Made in the USA
• Must use an ATI Torque Converter

BTW, Ratchthed, your nova is bad ***. I hope that my nova looks half that good when its finished.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

Vince he bought an ATI SuperGlide III prior to us hooking up. It is a righteous piece for sure! Not one hiccup all year long, not one adjustment after initial round of adjustments after break in laps.

Well Gator, we actually will have plenty of chances at that tranny... it is not going to live forever at nearly 1,800 fwhp! We actually have a 2 Speed Lenco we are building as a backup. He wants to run a Bruno / Lenco setup at some point late next year or the year after. So, I am sure we'll have our turn at it.

You know, the interesting thing about that car is no matter what we do... pick something maintenance wise... when we put it on the rack to do anything to it, it inevitably consumes at least 4 hours of time. We take an extremely detailed look at everything when it goes on the rack!

It's a fun car to be a part of, but it is like having an 800 pound gorilla for a lap dog!

g
Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i saw that car i was in awe.. these guys have a really clean, organized shop, and they know their ****.

i know a few tranny guys, and have rebuilt a few trannys myself, so i know what it takes to do the job right. i have alot of confidence in these guys and i will be doing business with them when i get the money. hopefully my trans lasts that long haha.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Wow... thanks for the cool comments!

I have some more pics here and there...I'll add them later in the day.

g
Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
FormerVendor

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

One of the most beautiful street cars I've ever seen! Can't wait to see it runnin' all out!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Kyle.

That means alot coming from you. I know you get around to lots of events and lot's of tracks around the country. WHich means you get to see lots and lot sof fast cars!

Good to see you a few weeks ago here in F/W. I was not expecting to bump into you! I guess you never know who you'll run into anymore....

g