Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 4L60E finally giving up the ghost ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default '94 4L60E finally giving up the ghost ...

The original stock tranny in the Blue '94 Z28 has finally given up. For a few years, it's been rev'ing as if a missed shift occurred if you were at WOT during the expected 3-4 shift. Now it won't shift out of 2nd. What did you guys opt to do? From a brief research here's what I know...

'94 A4's are the first yr for the 4L60E in the Fbody (93 had a 700R4) and the '95+ got an extra solenoid on their 4L60E. So it appears you can put a '94 - '97 LT1 4L60E in a '94 but you can't/shouldn't put a '94 4L60E in a '95-'97 LT1 because of the solenoid.
I can buy a complete 4L60E outright (no core) from Summit for anywhere from $1,300 - $1,700 depending upon manufacturer/rebuilder(Hughes, TCI, B&M, etc).
I can buy a Hughes 4L60E rebuild kit with HP parts for $390 but from what I've been told, the insides of a 4L60E are not for those with ADD

I've called a local Fbody Boneyard and left a message, trying to see if he has a recent 4L60E and the cost. That brings up a question. Other than the Torque converter, are the LT1 and LS1 4L60E's incompatible?

Have any of you had your 4L60E rebuilt to 'standard', ie: not HP? If so, what kind of cost and time turnaround did you experience?
Thanks!
David K. Wilson
'94 Z28 now in Powerglide mode.
'96 Z28 383 M6 4.10
Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The LS1 units will not easily interchangewith the LT1 early styles the main difference being the input shaft /pump stator and that they are a bolt on bell. You are better to get one to fit your car, Please feel free to look over what we have to offer,
On the matter of getting a ki and ebuilding it unless you are very experinced or have lots of time, patience and in many cases money to spend I dont suggest going that route as for the most part it dosent go well.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

I clicked on the banner. Read the part where it said I could click the 'buy now' button to see the prices for the LT1 but it says the URL is forbidden to access.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Odd a few people have run into that , It has something to do with the browser your using the prices are 20 percent off the prices you se listed if you cant click the buy now just give me a call we can do all by phone,
Thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Just bought the Level 1 Pro Street 4L60E (w/o converter) from your site. Thanks for the tip!
What's not mentioned is the shipping date, shipping time interval. It did say I can pay $260 shipping and it will encompass both the new/replacement unit being shipped here as well sending my current tranny back to you. That will work great. But do I have to have it on a pallet or something before the new unit gets here? I read your packaging requirements. No problem there, but do I take the new unit off the pallet and put mine upon it and then strap it down? Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I think you are mistaken , You do not send us your old trans its yours we do not need it ! You will receive the trans and thats all your done. well other than putting it in we have no core requirment. As for times right now the trans are shipping within one week of the order date, In your case that would be tomorrow so likley you will leave before monday or tuesday of next week , I will come fedex ground to the address you listed to send it to ,
Thanks

PS I beleave you read our warranty page the 260 has to do with warranties and what it means is in the rare event you do have to return the trans under warranty rather than you having to deal with the shipping etc you simply pay us the 260 put the trans in its original container and we have it picked up and handle things from there. FYI

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Wow! That's great then. Thanks for the clarification.

I see now what I'd done. I'd confused your shop/site with this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...QQcmdZViewItem
I'm glad I went with your setup! Much less hassle with you and I can get my stocker rebuilt for a backup unit as time permits.
Originally Posted by performabuilt
I think you are mistaken , You do not send us your old trans its yours we do not need it ! You will receive the trans and thats all your done. well other than putting it in we have no core requirment. As for times right now the trans are shipping within one week of the order date, In your case that would be tomorrow so likley you will leave before monday or tuesday of next week , I will come fedex ground to the address you listed to send it to ,
Thanks

PS I beleave you read our warranty page the 260 has to do with warranties and what it means is in the rare event you do have to return the trans under warranty rather than you having to deal with the shipping etc you simply pay us the 260 put the trans in its original container and we have it picked up and handle things from there. FYI

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 10-30-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Good news! Just got the tranny from Performabuilt!
Bad news! They didn't have my Torque Converter in stock at the time of shipment. But, it's on its way. If things would have gone perfectly (as if that ever happens with cars, hahaha) everything would be here today so I could put it all together. Ah well...
The box arrives...

Opening it up. Looks like it's packaged for safety! Instructions are immediately visible.

Close up of the instructions...

Nicely packaged bag 'o seals for the tailshaft housing. Also included, a can of pressurized air you are to use to blow out all the old crap that is/might be in your tranny coolant lines running to/from the radiator.

I didn't expect this but a trans cooler is included as well...

Lines and fittings...

Not the best focus but the actual cooler in the package ...

The actual tranny 'neath the insulation foam. It's Clean as it can be under the plastic sheeting...

Slightly closer pic...

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 11-11-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo corrections. Spell check is your friend...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks goes to Frank at Performabuilt. He was always available on Instant Messenger and always friendly.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Your always welcome and thats some really nice Packaging there

Call 888-744-6542