Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Kit Options

What are our options ar far as firming up the shifts on a a4 car after a converter swap? The Transgo kit seems very popular. how much can the shifts be firmed up with tuning?I'm not looking for a super hard shift just trying to get it quick and firm again. about how much will a trans shop charge to install a transgo kit? thanks guys.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, lot's of times... depending on the stall speed of the converter, rpm's and throttle pressure... you may not be able to feel it shift, regardless of the transmission setup. The converter did not change the way the tranny shifts at all. Rather, it cushions the shift now as opposed to the feel of a stock converter.

That being said, we install the Trans Go HD-2 kit in all of our builds. It provides the most advantages overall. In order to install that kit properly the unit must be dissasembled completely as there are changes in the valve body, the servo, changes in piston return springs etc... So, the cost would be determined by whether or not the shop installed it correctly. Meaning will they only install the servo and valve body mods or go completely through it. My recommendation owuld be to save your money and then have the kit installed when he unit becomes symptomatic or fails... that way you don't pull it twice or have it apart more than once.

I have used a Superior shift kit in times past, valve body and servo mods... but I was not at all impressed with it's performance.

My recommendation would be to have a tuner look at the files and determine whether or not your line pressure should be adjusted based on the current tune. The shifts can be firmed up somewhat... but remember, the transmission is doing everything exactly like it was prior to the converter swap... you just don't feel it until you nail it!

Hope that helps.

g
Old 11-11-2007, 02:44 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I have used a Superior shift kit in times past, valve body and servo mods... but I was not at all impressed with it's performance.
I have found the same. As far as the TransGo Shift kit, I modify the kit even further to "match" the customers setup.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys