Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter swap.... half way there HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Converter swap.... half way there HELP!!!!!!

ok day two the headers are all off and i started taking everything apart for the converter swap. the tranny is now free of everything to move up and down and everything is disconnected. i removed two of the 3 crappy inverted hex bolts holding my stock converter to the flywheel and from the last time the tranny shop had to drop my tranny to replace some clutches it looks like they beat the F@3K out of this bolt. neither the 8mm or SAE hex works. they fit in fine but arent even close to tight and strip right through the bolt... \

i dont need the bolts cuz im putting the new stall in so my question is can i chisel the head of the bolt off?? or is my only option to weld another bolt to it and take it off that way???
Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try these they work great . Also made by snap on mac and most Craftsman bolt-outs on their web page sorry i can't paste the website.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

i got fed up with it and goin to work in an hour so i started grinding the bolt with my dremel. its actually workin better than i expected but it is slow for the most part lol. hopefully ill get another hour or so to work on it tomorrow and ill have the rest of the head ground off.. thank god the new converter uses its own normal hex bolts hah.

im also pretty surprised at how simple the stall swap is, its just more of a pain in hte Azz if anything
Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm in the middle of a swap right now using a vig 3200 putting the exhaust back together now then the cooler.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

i am haveing my trans rebuilt and stripped out the same bolt . what i did was pulled the tranny off just enough to get a sawzaw in between the converter and the flexplate and cut it off took about 15 mins but it work. funny because i just didi it like 1 hour ago and then seen yout thread. anyway good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it always amazes me the uses of a dremel. I can tell this from getting many broken exhaust manifold studs out of steel heads "be patient and take your time".
Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

o i am. i was out there with it for at least 30 mins yesterday and im about half way there. what i ended up doing was starting in the middle and basically grinding a big channel in the middle so i can get right to the threads rather than waste time grinding the entire head off. fyi the bolts and flywheel + grinder make for quite the fireworks show. lol

im pissed tho because im doing my headers at the same time, so i didnt install anything back after takin em off since its just physically easier to get to all the bell housing bolts with no exhaust there at all. anyways i look up to get the dip stick bolt out, and my f$3king top passenger bell housing bolt is like barely even halfway threaded into the block... unbelieveable
Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

well finally got it down and it slipped right out... we eventually got the tranny down after lowering it, well, it more sort of fell on us cuz i lowerd it a little too much and it didnt balance half as well as i expected lol but w/e. the biggest challenge will be gettin the tranny back up now that just the pan is sitting on my jack but hopefully it should go ok.