Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake vacuum and automatic transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake vacuum and automatic transmissions

I just had my brakes bled, installed new steel braided brake lines, and new fluid (it was pretty low). Before, the car would bog in the low rpm when the converter was unlocked and my foot off the gas. It sounded and felt terrible. But if I would apply brake pressure or accelerate it would stop bogging and clunking. After this upgrade, it doesn't do that anymore. It just keeps cruisin smooth when I let off the gas in low rpm (city streets). The overall ride even feels more solid, as though these new brake lines had something to do with it? I know that sometimes when I start my car and it's idling that brake pressure will help it out. Why is that? Can someone school me on this?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason can easily be found in the brake lines themselves! Do you still have the old ones?

If so take the and slice them in 1/2 longways... you will find that the hose has collapsed internally I bet. Seen that many countless times over the years. When the lines collapes they allow pressure from the M/C through, but do not allow it to release the caliper when the pressure from the M/C is released.

Bottom line is... your brakes have been dragging.

g
Old 11-17-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of damage can that cause to the brakes? What should I look for to see if any has been done? The car drives fine so far, and brakes so much better. The calipers and rotors are a half year new as well.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only damage you would see would be premature failure of the consumables... pads and rotors. And also you should see some parts that look like they've been a bit hotter than they should have.

g
Old 11-17-2007, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

look for small cracks in the rotors they will be really then most of the time, probably wont even notice them unless ur looking for them
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KillerZO6
look for small cracks in the rotors they will be really then most of the time, probably wont even notice them unless ur looking for them
ok yeah i'm good. whew!

also, i noticed whenever the car would shift it would randomly be really hard or soft and unnoticeable. now it's not hard anymore at all. the tranny shifts smooth now all the time. is that still the brake lines somehow and brake pressure or is this another deal all together? i thought it would be my torque arm causing that, like a bad bushing, but had the car on the lift and everything is fine. and the u-joints and tranny mount are both new.