Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep popin trans lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default keep popin trans lines

ok i have been messing with these trans lines on my z because twice now they have popped on me on the way home from school and work. it keeps popping at were i cut the stock line to put the rubber hose on it for the trans cooler. i have tighten them up and put bigger rubber hose on them with 3 calms so it doesnt pop them, but i dont want to get on it because im not sure if they will pop again so i been driving it slow under 3,500 k so the pressure doesnt pop them lose. anybody ever have this problem or know what is wrong/ what i should do to fix this?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right thing to do would be to put a barb on the end of the tube. But I am not sure where to get a barb tool from.

When I had that problem I used a flaring tool and put a small flare on the end of the tube, slide the hose past the flare about an inch and then hose clamp it about a half inch way from the flare (on the tube side of course). If the hose clamp is to close to the flare on the pipe you may tear the hose.

I know it may be kinda too late but.......
This is one way of installing a trans cooler on a 93-02 F-body that doesn't involve cutting any lines.
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=31

And if you don't wanna use the stock trans cooler in the radiator (just the external aftermarket cooler) then all you have to do is connect one hose from the cooler tube number 1 in the photo below using a new hose clamp. Then cut the crush sleeve off the hose on the cooler tube number 2. Cut the crush sleeve parallel to the hose, (red line). Make sure you do not cut too deep, cut only deep enough to cut thru the crush sleeve. Once you made your cut take a screwdriver and spread the crush sleeve open enough to slide it off or to break it in half. Once the crush sleeve is removed pull the hose off the tube. The end of the tube has a barb on it so you will most likely have to cut the hose off with a razor blade. Once the hose is off connect the other hose from your new external trans cooler to the tube and hose clamp it on.
Attached Thumbnails keep popin trans lines-shocktrp311.jpg  

Last edited by LilSlo1; 11-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well there was really no reason to cut the line. Chevy did us a favor the way they set it up with the soft line where it was. I did it just like the pic above. That being said you need tool to make a ring ot flare it out
Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barb the line and you will be good to go. The advise above is good advise follow it and you will be good to go. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 11-20-2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Got two threads mixed up when posting. Long day!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

i put the cooler in about 6months ago and im just now getting problems with the line that i cut but im going to flare it thursday and hopefully that will work. i didnt even look for the line that has the clamp on it until i got the cooler on and then i seen it and wanted to kick myself for cutting the line.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always get new trans cooler lines from Gm and then do it the right way.