Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission mount problem help needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Transmission mount problem help needed ASAP

I am doing a 6 speed to 4L80E swap on my car and the 4L80E I have came with a Yank transmission cross member. My car already has a Spohn tunnel mount torque arm with two driveshaft safety loops. The problem is either the transmission cross member is to low or the transmission mount piece is to short. When I tried to put the driveshaft into the transmission it would not go in without jacking the transmission up about ¼” or so and when it is installed the drive shaft holds it just off of the cross member. I am thinking that I need to shim the transmission up about 5/16” to 3/8” so it will not contact the loop
This is only when the car is in the air and the suspension is unloaded
With the car on the lift and a jack stand under the front K member I had to raise the rear end up about 6 inches to get the driveshaft off of the safety loop

Any help or subjections would be appreciated
All this stuff was got used
Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the driveshaft fit when the suspension is loaded?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
How does the driveshaft fit when the suspension is loaded?

I am not sure

when I saw that I had to jack the transmission up off of the transmission crossmember I stoped and was trying to figure out what I needed to do to fix it

if the transmission is bolted down now I am afraid it will bend the driveshaft
Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Well it is not uncommon at all for there to be fitment issues when installing aftermarket components.

Another question.... when the driveshaft is inserted into the transmission, how much space is between the u-joint caps and the pinion yoke?

Did you have the driveshaft modified for this application? Just curious.

The way I understand this issue is... the car is on a hoist, the axle is hanging, the Spohn torque arm mount and torque arm are bolted up, you tried to install the driveshaft but cannot because it interferes with the d/s loops.... right?

What happens if you unbolt the Spohn torque am mount?

g
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Well it is not uncommon at all for there to be fitment issues when installing aftermarket components.
HA HA Tell me about it
the car has a PTS turbo kit, moser 9 inch rear, LS2 403, and some other stuff I am sure
Another question.... when the driveshaft is inserted into the transmission, how much space is between the u-joint caps and the pinion yoke?
in this photo it looks like 2-1/2 but it is 3 inches
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...sgiving024.jpg

I am not sure I understand the ?? but the slip yoke on the driveshaft is about 4-1/2" long and with and the tail shaft extends 5/8" out of the transmission housing. with the driveshaft installed and the rearend hanging there is 3 inches of the slip yoke sticking out of the transmission and it will go in 1 inch more before it bottoms out

Did you have the driveshaft modified for this application? Just curious.
it is a steel aftermarket driveshaft that is about 1 inch shorter then the stock one
This entire setup was in a 1998 Trans Am that belongs to another uesr on here and we just swapped transmissions and everything else for the swap

The way I understand this issue is... the car is on a hoist, the axle is hanging, the Spohn torque arm mount and torque arm are bolted up, you tried to install the driveshaft but cannot because it interferes with the d/s loops.... right?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...sgiving028.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...sgiving021.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...sgiving020.jpg

correct, to install the driveshaft I had to un-bolt the transmission from the crossmember and jack it up about 1/4" to make it fit. Then when I lower the transmission the driveshaft bottoms out on the saftey loop

What happens if you unbolt the Spohn torque am mount?
if i unbolt it and lower it about 1/4" to 3/8" it clears just fine
I guess ? is would i be better to shim the transmission up or the TQ arm mount down because it has to be one or the other.

I think that it would be the transmisson mount because the TQ arm worked just fine with the 6 speed and stock tranny mount
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Darren P
if i unbolt it and lower it about 1/4" to 3/8" it clears just fine
I guess ? is would i be better to shim the transmission up or the TQ arm mount down because it has to be one or the other.

I think that it would be the transmisson mount because the TQ arm worked just fine with the 6 speed and stock tranny mount
Well I believe that answer lies in determining the pinion angle. If you move the TQ arm mount down you will change he pinion angle correct?. If you move the transmission up you risk stressing the mounts and u-joints. So, my recommendation is to start with determining the pinion angle and then deciding which to move. Initially, I would start with the TQ arm mount myself. It will take a few tries to get it right I am sure.

Remember, the F-Bodies were never manufactured with the 4L80E, therefore the aftermarket components you have were not engineered for it.

Good Luck with it!

g
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the 6sp. style trans cross member, it sits about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch lower. I used a t-56 trans crossmember and made a 1/4 inch shim in mine an ran longer bolts. That should work for you.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

it is supposed to be a 4L80E crossmember

BTW

I take it that you do not need the clutch

I still have it if you do