Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sonnax Servos

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sonnax Servos

Anyone ever use the sonnax "super hold" 2 and 4 servos in conjunction with the transgo hd2 shift kit?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got both sonnax servos with the regular transgo kit, i didnt like the hd2 kit. with a 3600 stall my tranny shifts perfectly throughout the gears. it also shifts quickly without the banging some people get.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I have used both with it , Its works fine however I would use the lighter settings on the transgo if I used them together.for the accumulator and the feed holes for second gear

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had researched this a while ago, and concluded that the second gear servo wasn't a big deal since the later 4L60Es already had the Corvette servo from the factory. On the fourth gear servo, I had read that there was concern over breaking the band from too much force.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

from my reading it was determined that the corvette servo was not good enough to hold the band. the billet servo was best because it had more area for contact.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say billet make sure you state which one you are talking about. There are two different ones that I have used. The one from superior/fairbanks and the sonnax super hold second servo. I prefer the sonnax because it still uses the factory accumulation/cushion springs. The one from superior is a rude crude piece IMO. You should here the noise they make on our DYNO on a 3-2 downshift. Scary! They are very abusive, keep in mind I have used them in the past, and the only one I will use in the future is the one from sonnax or the OEM vette servo. I have broken many hard parts with a previous employer that sweared by them. I guess after braking a bunch of bands and input sprags I have learned my lesson. Good luck to you with your project and if you need any parts or what not, hit me up. Vince
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I have not run into the servo breaking the band except with the stock band. Which we dont use and have have never seen it with either of the aftermarket bands we use, Of course that area is reinforced. I have not run into the sprag breakage issue either but Have see it with both the billet servos and even the corvette servo when the 1-2 accumulation is exstremely limited. However I would agree with not using the fairbanks servo with the stock band as the pin area is not strong enough, It should be considered a build part in a Built trans not and upgrade, For the upgrade with a stock band and trans I would stay with the corvette servo or the Sonnax Super hold 2nd. I have experinced no issues of any kind with the Sonnax super hold 4th in any application. Biggest thing is dont get carried away with the shift kit, Everyone thinks they need the hardest shift possible and hard "harsh" Is not nessesarily a good thing shifts should remain progressive.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
For the upgrade with a stock band and trans I would stay with the corvette servo or the Sonnax Super hold 2nd. I have experinced no issues of any kind with the Sonnax super hold 4th in any application. Biggest thing is dont get carried away with the shift kit.
I have a 2004 GTO 4L60e in my Datsun. I know it already it has the Corvette servo for 2nd gear, but I am highly considering buying the Sonnax 'Super Hold' servo for 4th gear. The tranny has about 16k original miles on it.

What do you think, good or bad idea?

Thanks!!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:11 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

How many miles on the unit? What year is the transmission? What torque converter are you going to use here? The diameter and stall? What rear end gear ratio? How do you drive? Conservative? Moderate? Moderately aggressive? Or aggressive? This will tell me a lot here. There is more you can do to the TransGo Shift kit, and there are other options to consider once I know what you have.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
When you say billet make sure you state which one you are talking about. There are two different ones that I have used. The one from superior/fairbanks and the sonnax super hold second servo. I prefer the sonnax because it still uses the factory accumulation/cushion springs. The one from superior is a rude crude piece IMO. You should here the noise they make on our DYNO on a 3-2 downshift. Scary! They are very abusive, keep in mind I have used them in the past, and the only one I will use in the future is the one from sonnax or the OEM vette servo. I have broken many hard parts with a previous employer that sweared by them. I guess after braking a bunch of bands and input sprags I have learned my lesson. Good luck to you with your project and if you need any parts or what not, hit me up. Vince
I was curious if the billet 2nd gear servo had this 3-2 banging down shift... I had it on a 200 4r once... I hated it...Your saying the super hold servo doesnt do this?... thanks for any info... I am upgrading servos in my 7oor4... don't want the BANGing.... but need the extra holding capacity....
Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Teching In

If a guy already had the corvette servo installed in his tranny.... would it be a waste of cash installing the super hold one?...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, I too wondered the same exact question but I was having my 4l60e in my 99 Sierra rebuilt, not Trans AM. The trans guy at the dealer my dad works at rebuilt it for me and suggested not combining a shift kit with servos. I had Vette 2nd gear servo and the Sonnax Super Hold 4th gear servo installed along with Z pack 3/4 clutches.

Let me tell you this, I'm really glad I took his advice because honestly sometimes it shifts too firm for my liking with just the servo upgrades. That is usually when it's cold but after it warms up they seem near perfect.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by COMPRACER
Anyone ever use the sonnax "super hold" 2 and 4 servos in conjunction with the transgo hd2 shift kit?
That's exactly what is in mine.

Quick Reply: Sonnax Servos