Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seperator Plate 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seperator Plate 4l60e

I was wanting to know if there is a modification for the seperator plate and accumulator springs like there is for my 4r70w? I have a friend who wanted to know if it can be done on his 98' camaro ls1 4L60E. For my trans, I just drilled the seperator plate to bigger spec, and removed and replace a couple of accumulator springs to faster firmer shifts. Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

There are many modifications that can be done, such as a modified TransGo Performance Shift kit. What are you trying to accomplish exactly?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Well, for my trans 4r70w, all that is required is a few drill bits (wire gauge), trans filter (might as well while you are there), two seperator plate gaskets, trans pan gasket if need. All you have to do is drill the seperator plate to proper spec, thus the reason for using wire gauge drill bits to get into the thousandths of an inch accuracy. Mark the selected wholes with the correct size of the bit, and drill. Replace with a softer spring in the 1-2 shift accumulator, and totally remove the 2-3 accumulator spring. Reassemble valve body to trans, and fill with fluid, test drive. The shifts become amazing, faster, firmer, and while cruising down the road, the shifts are not so firm, but only really noticable to the person driving the car everyday before and then after the j-mod. Just to give you an idea of how it works. And what I am asking is there such thing for the 4l60e? Not a shift kit that you go and buy from the store that you actually change springs in the valve body itself to raise pressures and shift firmness, but like stated above moves more volume faster, and by replacing the accumulator springs, firmer shifts without raising the pressures themselves and causing more problems down the road.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Yea you could drill a few holes and play with the accumulators without increasing line pressure. Sounds like a B&M shift kit--not worth it.

But why enlarge holes and not increase the fluid volume to compensate for that?
Why not do it right?
You can rig it by drilling two feed holes and blocking accumulators or get a TransGo HD2-B kit, it comes with the VB gaskets, accumulator springs, instructions that tell you what holes to drill (there are 9 holes to drill), a boost valve, a new 1-2 shift valve, a non PWM conversion that makes the TCC apply more firm, high rev 3-4 clutch springs, etc.

A shift kit does more than make it shift firm, unlike the J rig or mod whatever you call it.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

The transmission has to be in good running condition, and depending on what torque converter you are using, the rear end gear ratio, how you drive, etc. would determine to a great extent on what modifications you would want to do to the separator plate. If you are going to go this far, I would add the modified verion of the TransGo Performance Shift kit, as this will allow smoother shifts at part throttle, while still having firm shifts at WOT. If this is done right, the transmission should last longer than without the kit, especially if driven hard.

Quick Reply: Seperator Plate 4l60e