Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Temperature Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Transmission Temperature Help

I just bought a Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and have been trying to monitor my transmission temperatures since I got it back from being rebuilt about a week ago. I've glanced at the temps on several occasions and cannot honestly remember it going over 200. However, yesterday I ran a few errands and was driving for about an hour straight and even had an encounter with traffic on the freeway and the temps started to rise. By the time I reached my destination the temps where in the 270 range and I even saw 280 once. What the hell would cause this?

The trans shop installed a different cooler because they said the one that was on the car from the previous owner had seen better days according to them.

I drove it all nite Saturday and even had a few runs and the highest it ever got was 230 and that was very brief.

Could the cooler be bad or did something mess up in the tranny already? It seems to be shifting find so I don't think the trans is the cause.

This is a 4l60e with a TCI 3500 converter and I'm not sure what brand the cooler is. It is currently mounted on the front of the radiator. I just bought another cooler last nite that has a fan on it so hopefully that will bring my temps back down.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Generaly barrring the trans slipping which is dosent sound like it is , The converter is the major heat builder, You should check that you have proper cooler flow first but if you do and you cant keep the temperatures down , The converter may have issues. I have seen a bad converter take a trans from cold to 300 degrees in a very short time. Even though everything else seemed to work fine.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info. The trans guys mentioned the converter may be going out after I told him about the temp but I was really looking for a second opinion as I didn't feel like spending the cash on a new one now. I'm going to check the cooler lines and install the new cooler when it comes in. It has a fan on it so hopefully it will help. If the temps don't look right I guess I'll be ordering a new converter.

Could I have messed something up yesterday while it was hot? I'm not going to drive the car until it's sorted out but will the temp getting that hot mess up anything right away?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Good luck

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't need the new cooler with a fan on it unless you are going to mount a cooler out of the main airflow. I'll bet there is trash somewhere in the cooling lines or cooler (including the raidator cooler if still hooked up) and you're not getting much cooling.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Thanks for the info. The trans guys mentioned the converter may be going out after I told him about the temp but I was really looking for a second opinion as I didn't feel like spending the cash on a new one now. I'm going to check the cooler lines and install the new cooler when it comes in. It has a fan on it so hopefully it will help. If the temps don't look right I guess I'll be ordering a new converter.

Could I have messed something up yesterday while it was hot? I'm not going to drive the car until it's sorted out but will the temp getting that hot mess up anything right away?
No heat can damage but it takes some time its not and instant killer. Unless of course the cooler is blocked that would be bad very quickly ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

So is there a way to clean the cooler? I'll try and remove the lines to day and make sure they are not clogged up. I should have the new cooler in the next few days.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You can flush it, But most imprtant for now is to verify cooler flow if its limited (should flow like a water hose when car started) you will then need to pull pan and see whats in there a blocked cooler is a sure sign of a falied converter clutch

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-06-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help over the phone. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Thanks for the help over the phone. I really appreciate it.
Your welcome any time thats what I am here for

Call 888-744-6542