Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get my bell housing seperated from my block

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cant get my bell housing seperated from my block

i took all the necessary wires/brackets, torsion bar, bell housing bolts and everything that needed to be taken off. I also disconnected the torque converter. I tried so many things to get it seperated and still couldnt get it. Are there any tricks to get it seperated?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevez2885
i took all the necessary wires/brackets, torsion bar, bell housing bolts and everything that needed to be taken off. I also disconnected the torque converter. I tried so many things to get it seperated and still couldnt get it. Are there any tricks to get it seperated?
you have the top two bolts out right?..they are sometimes tricky to get to in the F-body's..

If so, then i would say she is just siezed on there a little from corrosion or whatever..

Get some pry bars and try to pry between the fly wheel and the torque converter..- there is a small possibility you could crack your flywheel, but it shouldn't.

Or, Get a dead blow hammer like 3lb or so and where the angle's are for the bell housing where the converter shield bolts up, try pounding it some there..

You gotta get her broken loose, then it will pop right off..

-Edit- Just saw your an LS1 car- you may be able to unbolt the actual transmission from the bell housing since the LS1's are 2 piece, and from there just yank the bell housing off the block..
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many bell housing to engine block bolts have you removed?

And no, the bellhousing cannot be removed from the transmission case prior to removal. It is not like a Manual setup.

Because the engine dowels are steel and the transmission case is aluminum there will be a bit of corrosion inside the dowel bosses in the transmission.... use some wd40 or similar lubricant to release the unit. Often we have to take a prybar to the unit in order to remove it. Before you do you must ne absolutely sure you have removed all of the bellhousing bolts.

Good Luck

g
Old 12-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Default Bolts

dont forget there is a bolt at 12 o'clock on the trans on ls1 cars, so make sure all bolts are out, and yes those dowel pins can seize up on the bellhousing,
"prybar" especially if the trans has never been out.

hope that helps
Brian
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a total of 8 bolts that need to be removed. Here is a picture of the bell. Notice the red circles. Make sure that you do not have a bolt in any of these locations before trying to remove the trans. If you have all of these out, let some tension off the jack and try to pry it loose through the starter pocket. Hope this helps. Vince

Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, i have taken out 8 bolts from the bell housing....and i also tried prying between the flywheel and torque converter in the starter pocket but still nothing lol. I was told to use a torch to the dowel pins... is this a good idea?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

A friend of mine use a small propane torch with a pencil tip and that worked.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine was a super bitch the first time I removed it too. There should be small pry-slots located on the housing. I believe I used a flathead screwdriver or chisel and tapped it into each slot (I think theres 3) and keep at it until there was enough room to fit in a pry bar. I could of swore the thing was welded on it was so tight.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. The key here is to take your time and not get frustrated. Be careful, you don't want to wear your tranny as a facemask. It took me a few hours to get mine by myself. If you stay at it with a prybar it will break loose. They are a PITA to break loose for the 1st time. When you put it back in, put some anti-seize on the dowels.

Quick Reply: Cant get my bell housing seperated from my block