Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading the servos necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the servos necessary??

I was wondering at what point it would be a good idea to upgrade to the sonnax servos. I was told by a couple people on this forum that i can change these to allow the trans to withstand higher power applications, but im not sure if it would be necessary for my setup. I have the engine/tranny mods in my sig but will eventually go stalled and a small shot. What all does swap the servos do? Also how difficult is it? Would i be able to do it with out pulling the tranny or does someone have a write up for it?

Also keep in mind that the tranny has only a STOCK rebuild (plus shiftkit and cooler) with roughly 6,500 miles on it. So i really dont want to put any unnecessary strain on it.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Servo is the component in the transmission that applies the band. The band is applied at the 1-2 upshift, released during the 2-3 upshift and during 3rd gear, then the band is once again applid in 4th gear. Soooo... the servo only applies to the band and related operations.

Now, where the servo comes in is the part where we ask the servo to do more than the stock servo can. And they do a pretty good job of applying th band rapidly. If you are not dishing out gobs and gobs of horsepower then I would not recommend you do this upgrade as a standalone installation.

Not sure where you got your information.... but ask yourself this question. What are the most common failures in these units? I can tell you it is not the band, they do fail but it is a rare occurance. It is the stock sunshell, the 3/4 clutches, the input drum, the pump, the sprags and so on that fail often.

I would recommend you instead consider upgrading the transmission as a whole at some point.

Good Luck!

g
Old 12-25-2007, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would agree there are better upgrades with more benifit like a trans the 3-4 clutch is the weakest link

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-26-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, thanks guys. Thats some really good information. I just figured there were a couple things i could do to strengthen her up with out a full-on rebuild, but you guys deffinetly seem to know your stuff. Thanks again.